PDA

View Full Version : The Singer's Thread

Christine Daaé
08-21-2007, 12:50 AM
Attention all singers!

Got a question about singing? How about a rant? Or how about general commentary on it? Want to discuss different singing techniques? Here's the place to do it.

However, there are a few rules.

DON'T do these things:

1. If you've come to brag about your latest vocal achievements, don't. This isn't the place to go on and on about your latest lead role -- unless it's to inform others of how an audition went, if other members have asked -- or to talk excessively about your vocal range, or the latest oh-so-difficult song you tackled effortlessly. Basically, it boils down to this: don't talk about yourself unless you're either giving an opinion based in experience or asked to talk about yourself -- and even then, don't talk too much about yourself.

2. Ask all the questions you want, and the rest of us will answer to the best of our ability -- but DO NOT ask a question and then shoot down those who try to answer. I've seen this before on other forums -- someone will ask a question, but if the answer isn't what the inquirer wants to hear, the inquirer will bash those who have answered. This is not the place for that. Be more mature.

3. In the same vein, when talking about opinions expressed in this thread, do not bash anyone. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you are going to correct someone else, remember this rule of thumb: fact and tact. Present the facts to the best of your knowledge, and do some research beforehand; but do it in a friendly, non-offensive way. This is not the place to flame anyone, no matter how "wrong" they may be.

4. Do not make claims you can't back up. Do not lie about your achievements or experience. Hopefully, I won't need to explain this one again.

DO these things:

1. Ask questions! Nothing is off-limits. Ask the more experienced singers on the boards questions about technique -- there's enough of us here that this is possible. Ask about the ideal song to sing for an audition coming up. Ask about the history of singing, or what to look for in a voice teacher, or even questions about careers in singing.

2. Be respectful. Enough said in previous points.

3. Voice your opinions! As long as they are respectful of others, opinions/rants are encouraged.

4. Most of all, have fun.

On your mark! Get set! GO!

~ Zelda

Mrs Nadir Khan
08-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Ooh, cool idea!

I have a question: I'm joining my church choir on Friday, but they don't have a mezzo-soprano section, just alto or soprano. I've got no clue which I'm more comfortable in, generally speaking, but I would like to strengthen my ability to reach higher notes and to sing harmony. Any suggestions on how to find where I need to be?

Isabella Delancy
08-21-2007, 09:03 PM
Well I remember when I joined my school choir and not knowing which section I belonged in, only that it was not tenor. So I dappled. You have to try out the ranges in the various sections to know which you feel most comfortable with and which notes sound best in which octave. I tried alto first but hated the lower notes when my natural instinct was to sing from the higher register. So then I tried joining the sopranos and found my niche. I'm glad I tried the lower range first so that I knew I wasn't blind about manipulating my voice to reach the higher notes. I was in my high school choir for 7 years (we have a potential of 7 years at high school in the UK including Sixth form). ^_^

If you aren't sure, you should simply mention it beforehand and say you want to try with one of the sections and see whether you feel comfortable there.

Christine Daaé
08-22-2007, 12:57 AM
A lot of choirs have some sort of "range test" for people just starting out with the choir. Since this is a church choir, though, that may not be the case.

One thing you can do is test your range yourself. Warm yourself up first, then get to a piano and start seeing how high or low you can go -- comfortably. If you're straining to hit a note, you probably shouldn't be trying to hit it at this time.

A lot of people can sing both alto and soprano, so if that's the case with you, it depends on what you want to do more: strengthen your sight-reading and harmonizing skills, or show off your high notes. If you really want to do harmony and learn to sight-read better, you're better off going into the alto section; sopranos almost always get the melody.

~ Zelda

Mrs Nadir Khan
08-22-2007, 03:39 AM
How do you do that test if you don't have a piano or keyboard, though?

I know, I must seem whiny and clueless, but I haven't done singing in a choir or, really, of any sort for two years and even then, that was school choir and my choral teacher had been... less than supportive of my voice. Could I do that test acapella, by any chance, or alongside a flute (my sister plays flute)?

PhAnToMeSs07
08-22-2007, 03:49 AM
I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out: I have an audition coming up and I am really nervous. Any stress reduction techniques or recommendations. I have to sing and it is the first singing related audition I have ever done so, suggestions and help would be welcome. Thanks,

Ran

masquerading rose
08-22-2007, 04:00 AM
Oh! I do! Alright, when IO try out for things, I shake, badly, and in screws up my singing, so I practice singing in front of people before I go in. Before you sing, take in a deep breath look at your friend (since I understand he's playing piano for you) and sing to him. Only to him. Pretned that there is no one else in the room and that its only you and him there. Oh, I do hope this helped. You can virually smack if it didn't.

Some advice to anyone veiwing this: Never vow not to sing. I did and it only lasted a few days... but the point I'm trying to get at is that if you stop sinign for a while, you won't sound as great. 'cause now my voice is craking like crazy-mad and my vibrato is off because I haven't been singing in a while.

PhAnToMeSs07
08-22-2007, 04:42 AM
Yeah...I suppose that could work. I get nervous when I play an instrument with shaking and all, lol. Same thing I guess with singing. I have only known him a few days so, I am not really comfortable singing to him. I guess I will have to sing in front of him before it and see if your suggestion helps. Thanks alot and I actually sang in front of my mom and some other family members today to get there opinion. They said it was good so, I have already started working on that part of your suggestion. Thanks again, and no slap for Chrissy...just a hug. :)

MaskedNicci
08-22-2007, 05:44 AM
I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out: I have an audition coming up and I am really nervous. Any stress reduction techniques or recommendations. I have to sing and it is the first singing related audition I have ever done so, suggestions and help would be welcome. Thanks,

Ran

I know this has been replied to, but I'd like to offer a bit more, if no one minds. :) My suggestion is to focus on what way you get nervous. The little 'fix' is different for some people. Lots of people will wisely say that chocolate and dairy products flem up your throat and do not allow you to sing correctly. For many people, this is correct. BUT. For people who were very wise to look at themselves, they discovered that when they got nervous, their mouth dried up horribly, not allowing them to relax and sing. So they ate a bit of chocolate a few minutes prior, for not only relaxation, but for a coating on the throat. I'm not saying bring a candy bar, but look at yourself. My legs shake pretty bad when I'm nervous. A few calming breaths seem to help.

One thing I know works no matter how you get nervous is - be prepared. Ensure you know the material backwards and forwards, and you'll be assured by the fact that you KNOW it. That you won't be up there and forget the words or the notes or whatever. Repeat the little tips for auditions and stuff in your head - deep breaths from your diaphram, smile, don't fiddle around with your hands or move too much, remember that being tense will show. And know that the people you are auditioning for are NOT waiting for you to fail. They want to see how good you can be, and will be looking for a pleasant performance by you.

(A good tip for auditions is to treat your accompanist kindly, as well as those you are auditioning for. They want to see someone that will be nice to work with)

I want to kindly remind you that any nervousness that remains is perfectly natural. Even professional get the jitters now and then. It's completely normal, and it will never quite go away, because you will almost always be really excited. Just make sure you know your stuff, and be yourself, and you'll do splendid. I wish you all the best luck!

masquerading rose
08-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Oh! Oh! More advice! Don't let them know you are nervous, whether its with words or actions. They might think you have bad stage prescence and they might not give you the part. I learned the hard way... And also show respect to the others who are auditioning. Even if someone who is audtioning is a total witch to you, be kind to them, but I know you won't have a problem with that. :D. If concentrating on your friend doesn't help, look at a wall and imagine that your friend Kristen is there, and that you are singing for her. I imagined that my best friends David and Emily were there and I made it into the talent show, so it helps.

Mrs Nadir Khan
08-25-2007, 05:20 AM
I want to thank Zelda and Nadya for their advice-- I had choir rehearsals and I am apparently a fair soprano. Fortunately, my mother sings in the choir with me and she is a strong soprano, so she said she's going to help me. I think I've found a niche for now, though I may switch vocal parts when I feel ready to unhinge myself from my mom because, truth be told, I've been taught to be an alto in the past. Anyways, I want to thank you two for your support and advice-- it really helped me feel more confident!

More than Music
09-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Okay, I need some help. Even after doing a breathing exercise that my acting teacher gave me, I still have problems with gasping. Any tips on how to prevent gasping when singing quicker songs? I'm pretty good about it when I have time during the slower songs, but when they go faster... I gasp.

masquerading rose
09-08-2007, 08:10 PM
I hope I can help! If there is ever a rest in the song, BREATHE! As my band director always says, "Breathe out, not up." Meaning expand your stomach when you beathe, not your shoulders. Adn take really deep breaths. If it isn't a solo, and you can't hold a note out very long without gasping, rest yourself. Take a breathe, and just come in softer. If it is a solo, read over your music, and on it (if you can), mark the spots you can breathe on. It will help, believe it or not! Before you start, take a HUGE, DEEP breath and then sing it out. Don't sing softly, or loudly, sing somewhere in the middle. Sing your happy medium.

I do hope I helped!

More than Music
09-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Yes, you were a big help! I'd never thought of that. I know how to breath for singing, but it was knowing when to breath that I was having trouble with. Thank you very much. :D

masquerading rose
09-08-2007, 10:57 PM
You are very welcome.

Now I have a question.

I have a wrist problem and the medication I take for it makes my throat hurt horribly, causing my voice to screech like a tire. I love singing, and I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't. Any thought on what I can do? I want my wrist to heal, and not have anymore pain, but I also want to sing. Any thoughts?

Christine Daaé
09-08-2007, 11:16 PM
Drink a ton of water. By "a ton", I mean "at least two or three bottles of it a day". Keeping hydrated is really the only way to help your voice in this situation, as what you've described is often a symptom of being dehydrated.

~ Zelda

Mrs Nadir Khan
09-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Zelda, that's not the thing. Chrissy is taking meds long-term that are causing her throat to dry. She is drinking at least two or three bottles per day. It's just a side effect from meds.

Chris, my best advice, mon cherie is to keep doing what you are doing, but don't forget to rest those vocal chords. Reminding you online may get your attention a little more, as verbal suggestions from me are futile. x_x

Christine Daaé
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Hmm. Oops, then -- didn't know she was drinking so much water already.

How long will you be taking these meds, Christina? And yes, please do rest your voice. Resting for a period of time is always helpful.

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
09-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I've been taking them for five days. One in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one at night. It hurts to talk and definatly to sing. But I can't help it! Cassie, dear, sister of mine whom I love so dearly, please, please, please moniter my singing. I want my wrist to get better, and my voice to strengthen. Please help me. Grazie multo!

I just hope my voice is better before Monday. In gym class, everybody always asks me to sing for them (it gets kind of annoying actually...) and I don't want to disappoint them, but at the same time, I don't want them to keep bugging me... Agh. Guess what? I need more help.

Bean
09-10-2007, 02:33 AM
I have a question and hopefully someone can help me out: I have an audition coming up and I am really nervous. Any stress reduction techniques or recommendations. I have to sing and it is the first singing related audition I have ever done so, suggestions and help would be welcome.

I'd like to help this person, despite the fact that several people have already done so. When I need to sing (for almost anything), I imagine Erik, as I see him, and sing only for him. Yes, I am weird, but it works for me. Since I'm not nearly the most obsessed phan out there, I see no reason why this shouldn't work for other people as well.

MaskedNicci
09-10-2007, 03:57 AM
I'd like to help this person, despite the fact that several people have already done so. When I need to sing (for almost anything), I imagine Erik, as I see him, and sing only for him. Yes, I am weird, but it works for me. Since I'm not nearly the most obsessed phan out there, I see no reason why this shouldn't work for other people as well.

Actually, obsession isn't necessary. Why not think of anybody you love or think about often. Focus on singing from your heart, and that can pull you through.

That's why I suggested learning your material extremely well before hand. Then, if you know it well enough to remember the words, you can focus on WHAT the words mean to you. ;-) This is particularly true with love songs.

Oiseau de Chanson
09-10-2007, 05:20 AM
Look, it's my thread! lol. I'm a voice major, so I've started taking private lessons for the first time. Right now I'm learning "Pur dicesti, o bocca bella" and "Orpheus and His Lute". I've been doing a lot of non-pitch exercises in my lessons, like lip buzzing. It's slightly odd, but it does help.

I am a soprano, but right now I'm a little out of practice, so I can't reach quite as high as usual. :)

Zaxarion
09-26-2007, 01:32 AM
Dear people from the singer´s forum. I'm very happy to find so many people that share my smae interest and passion, I should say. That would be singing and This musical.

I´ve contacted all of you to ask if someone may know how to get the rights to present this play.

I live in Chile and I'm part of the cast of a High School that wishes to present this play, but also needs to get some Government funding to present it. We wish to put it in stage on December 2008. But we need to make the postulation to the fund on February 2008.

I would be very grateful if anyone could get me the info on who to contact to get the permission or rights to stage this wonderful musical.

Second:
From the director of the play I´ve received the honor to play the Phantom. I consider myself an amatheur singer and actor. I can sing every song very well (in spanish) but I wish to sing as best as I can, so if any experiences singer could give me some tips to improve my voice in some 6 to 8 months, or any other tip, I would be very very grateful.

Deep thanks to everyone that took time reading the Post... Zaxarion

Christine Daaé
09-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Hello, Zaxarion! As for staging POTO . . . my advice would be to contact Andrew Lloyd Webber himself. He's already granted the rights to a select few American high schools, so who knows, maybe he'll allow your high school to do it, too. I'm sure that if you go to the Really Useful Group's website, they'll have some sort of contact info for him there.

As for improving your singing, my advice would be to get formal voice training for the next few months. Get a voice teacher, and have him or her help you solidify your technique and correct whatever vocal mistakes you may be making. Unfortunately, there is no real "magic trick" that I or anyone else can tell you to automatically improve your singing; these things take time to learn, and besides, no one can judge what vocal mistakes you could be making unless they see you in person. So my only advice in that regard is to get yourself a voice teacher.

Now, there are a few things to look for in a voice teacher: how much experience they have, what kind of experience, and if they still are singing. Preferably, the teacher would be some kind of professional singer -- an opera singer, a recitalist, or at least possessing a degree in Voice. Don't just pick someone who has a pretty voice, because let me tell you -- I am considered to have a pretty voice myself, and I still am making a lot of mistakes. If you can get someone who sings for a living and/or has a degree in singing, that's the best kind of person to teach you, in my humble opinion.

You also have to consider whether the prospective teacher has damaged his or her voice in any way by singing. That's not a good sign; because if they have damaged their voices by how they sing, they will certainly teach you to do the same thing. Pick someone with a healthy voice.

That's all the advice I have . . . good luck to you! And by the way, if this production does happen, be sure to post photos and videos and whatever else you can get.

~ Zelda

Zaxarion
10-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Dearest Zelda,

My deepest thanks to you. Sorry what is the meaning of POTO?
I´ll go to the page of the Really useful Group. I´ll search for it right now. And for the voice teacher... I´ll try, but I don´t have too many economic resources to spend on my voice.. If you understand what I mean...

Another thing for anyone here... I need to make the mask of the phantom... any material I could use to make a mask custom made for my face?

Thanks to all...

See you soon

Mrs Nadir Khan
10-09-2007, 02:12 AM
POTO stands for Phantom of the Opera.

If you don't have economic resources for a vocal coach, wonders can be learned through things like technique books, community theater, and listening to and watching experienced singers. Watch Youtube recordings of stage Phantoms, preferably ones with good video quality and see how they form their words. I stress stage, because Gerard Butler isn't quite a professional grade singer.

These words are by no means professional suggestions. I'm a teenage singer, but I've learned a lot from watching others and listening to them, too. Use what you have and what you can get.

Victoria
11-24-2007, 02:11 AM
Hello all

I have audtion coming up on Monday for Fiddler on the Roof (middle school production, nothing big) but I can't find a good audition song! I want something that I can be really bug and loud with, can show off a large sop. 1 vocal range, and all in about 5 or 6 measures. I know I'm over thinking this but that's the perfectionest in me. I was leaning towards the first verse in TOM, but I'm not all too sure...

If someone could give me a suggestion, I would be very grateful :)

LittleLotte*
11-24-2007, 02:45 AM
I think that TOM is a wonderful idea actually! They would probably be impressed, because it isn't easy to do!

I've auditioned with Jekyll and Hyde songs. I usually sing Lucy's part, but I'm more of an alto, though I can go soprano.

But if you like that show, I would suggest Emma songs? Or even Lucy songs aren't that low! But I think TOM is a wonderful idea.

Break a leg on your audition!

Victoria
11-25-2007, 01:01 AM
Thannks so much! Yeah I think you convinced me, I'll do TOM :)

Christine Daaé
11-25-2007, 05:46 AM
"Think of Me" is NOT a good idea. First of all, the role of Christine in general is VERY advanced, and it's hard for a young girl to do without hurting herself. Secondly, POTO songs are so overdone in auditions that auditioners generally don't like hearing them, as they are done a thousand times by the time the audition period is done, and you won't stand out at all.

Now, what kind of audition song you need depends on the role you want. If it's Golde, more of a middle-range song is needed. If it's Hodel, you'll want a soprano song. Generally, you can't go wrong with anything from Jekyll and Hyde. I would strongly suggest looking into the music for it.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I always give this advice to people who want to sing POTO songs for auditions; trust me, it never works.

~ Zelda

Victoria
11-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Thank you both very much. I'll take both of your opinions to mind and check out Jekyll and Hyde too. Thanks so much for all you help :)

Mrs Nadir Khan
12-12-2007, 02:46 AM
Help!!!

I got sick-- lost my voice-- during October and my voice is no where near up to my standards. How can I regain my voice? I take medication for allegies and to prevent flu, drink several bottles of water a day, and try not to strain myself. Are there vocal excersizes I can do to fix my range?

More than Music
12-12-2007, 03:11 AM
Careful scales regularly keep your voice at a constant pace. I do them very often. Every day is what it will become. Go up to where it starts becoming a bit uncomfortable. Stop on that last note, and hold it for a while, gently.

Also - strange as it sounds - blowing your nose helps keep you healthy very well. :D The singing instructor for my group theatre class told me that, and it works for me. Every morning and every night.

Mrs Nadir Khan
12-25-2007, 07:57 PM
Your advice helped MTM! Midnight Mass was successful and I even took the descant. :) Yay! Thank you!

sweet_intoxication
12-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right place to post this but I would like to share with you me singing All I ask of you! :)

Hope you enjoy!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm45lp2fRbQ

Hidden Away
12-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Ooh, cool idea!

I have a question: I'm joining my church choir on Friday, but they don't have a mezzo-soprano section, just alto or soprano. I've got no clue which I'm more comfortable in, generally speaking, but I would like to strengthen my ability to reach higher notes and to sing harmony. Any suggestions on how to find where I need to be?

Do you have a piano? do you know your scales? don't worry I'm a mezzo-soprano too! Well got through ever scale starting from C and as high as you possibly can. continue you push yourself to go higher and higher and higher!!! It works WONDERFULLY!!!! I improved my voice a bit as well!

More than Music
12-31-2007, 08:57 PM
Fiona, that was sung very wonderfully! I would like to hear you singing something something a bit more... solo... though. :p Perhaps 'Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again'? I would love to hear you singing that! :D

sweet_intoxication
12-31-2007, 09:17 PM
haha Well thanks! ;o I had no one else to sing Raoul's part with so sort of made do on my own... :s

Sure. I'll attempt it sometime...

masquerading rose
01-01-2008, 03:48 AM
I love your voice, espescially in the lower notes. You have a lovely voice. It's what I call a "lullaby voice". Very beautiful, and very light.

Well got through ever scale starting from C and as high as you possibly can. continue you push yourself to go higher and higher and higher!!! It works WONDERFULLY!!!! I improved my voice a bit as well!
Actually, you can ruin your voice that way. If you push yourself, or force it, you can permanatly ruin your voice. As my lovely MtM has said: Stop on that last note, and hold it for a while, gently. It helps. Get your voice used to that note and master it before pushing yourself any higher. And when you do sing hisgher, only aim of a half step higher. You don't want to push yourself too much.

sweet_intoxication
01-01-2008, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the nice comments!:cd1:

Christine Daaé
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Very nice, Fiona! You have a lovely voice, and I'd like to hear more . . .

Are you taking voice lessons, by any chance? You have a lot of potential; and though your voice is beautiful, I believe everyone who enjoys singing could benefit from lessons -- especially if one is planning to make it a career. Don't take that the wrong way -- when someone asks if you're taking voice lessons, or says that you should consider doing so, that's a compliment.

Keep on singing, and do post more!

By the way, I myself have some singing clips up here (]http://www.mediamax.com/Switchboard.aspx?path=la_chanteuse/FileManager). You'll need a username and password to get in, though . . . the username is la_chanteuse, and the password is fantome. Enjoy!

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
01-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Uh-oh! Um... Zelda, it would let me on it says that the username 'la_chanteuse' couldn't be found... *pouts* I'm sad now because I wanted to hear you sing so badly.

Christine Daaé
01-02-2008, 07:22 AM
That's weird . . . it worked for me this morning. *checks again*

Okay, that's weird . . . but try going to the host website (www.mediamax.com) and entering the information again. It worked for me, but we'll see how it goes . . .

~ Zelda

sweet_intoxication
01-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Very nice, Fiona! You have a lovely voice, and I'd like to hear more . . .

Are you taking voice lessons, by any chance? You have a lot of potential; and though your voice is beautiful, I believe everyone who enjoys singing could benefit from lessons -- especially if one is planning to make it a career. Don't take that the wrong way -- when someone asks if you're taking voice lessons, or says that you should consider doing so, that's a compliment.

Keep on singing, and do post more!

By the way, I myself have some singing clips up here (]http://www.mediamax.com/Switchboard.aspx?path=la_chanteuse/FileManager). You'll need a username and password to get in, though . . . the username is la_chanteuse, and the password is fantome. Enjoy!

~ Zelda

Hi Zelda,

Thanks for your advice. I already have singing lessons. Some clips on my youtube were posted before I had singing lessons, being the first few I uploaded.

I started having lessons a year ago. My singing teacher said I could skip 3 grades being 1, 2 & 3. I did my grade 4 straight away. I took my grade 5 singing exam this term and found out my result also, achieving a distinction. :)

I just listened to your voice Zelda singing Think of Me! I really enjoyed it! :mask:

Christine's Shadow
01-03-2008, 12:23 AM
*pokes head in* I forgot this thread existed!!

Everyone seems chalk full of audition info-- so it seems to be a good idea to come here. =)

I have an audition (hopefully) coming up, and since it's a relatively small role, I'm just wondering on what kind of material I should be looking into. The role is Liesl in Sound of Music. She does sing a bit, and has 2 duets along with the songs that the children sing. I'm just wondering if I should look into singing more versus the acting perspective, seeing as she seems to act more than she sings. I have a vocal coach and he suggests that I might want to find a balance between both. Would a good idea be maybe a song where I have to act as well? Almost like "Over the Moon" but ... maybe not that particular song. :P Any suggestions? I've been looking through songs and nothing really has popped out at me. So I'm open to anything, so long as I don't kill my range. I'm a mezzo-- and I can actually sing very low. (an octave below middle C so far, my highest note is a high A. On a good day. and If I try REALLY hard. :p )

so again... HELP! Thanks ahead of time. I'll actually take several suggestions, and propose them to my vocal coach.

partunevoix
01-24-2008, 05:39 AM
Christine Daae, I am very curious to hear you sing but your link doesn't work. Please indulge me and put up another link.

As for myself.

I am a mezzo going on Dramatic Soprano.

I can sing from a low C to a high C, sometimes D or E, physically but I sound good from about a low G to a high A or B.

masquerading rose
01-24-2008, 03:57 PM
ZELDA!!!!! How long have you been taking lessons? I listened to your clips. I have to say, my favorite is "Batti, Batti, O Bel Masetto". You have a wonderful voice. I just love your vibratto in this song. My second favorite would have to "Green Finch and Linnet Bird". Not only are the words precious, but your voice is rich and beautiful. Your voice in "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" reminds me of a disney princess, only a hundred times better if that makes any logical sense. Zelda, You have an amazing voice. By the way, what type of recording equipment did you use to get that good of audio resolution?

Christine Daaé
01-25-2008, 05:48 AM
ZELDA!!!!! How long have you been taking lessons? I listened to your clips. I have to say, my favorite is "Batti, Batti, O Bel Masetto". You have a wonderful voice. I just love your vibratto in this song. My second favorite would have to "Green Finch and Linnet Bird". Not only are the words precious, but your voice is rich and beautiful. Your voice in "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" reminds me of a disney princess, only a hundred times better if that makes any logical sense. Zelda, You have an amazing voice. By the way, what type of recording equipment did you use to get that good of audio resolution?

Thank you so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed it . . .

I've been taking lessons since I was fifteen -- so, about three years -- but actually haven't taken private lessons in about six months; so really, my technique has slipped, even if my overall tone has gotten better.

As for the recording device, I used my mp3 player, actually! It's a Sansa model . . . I was really surprised at the quality of the audio resolution, too.

Sophia -- that's really bizarre . . . try going to www.mediamax.com and typing in the information I gave; that should help.

Kearyn -- Liesl . . . she's mostly a soprano part, right? That's what I remember, at least . . .

She's also very much an ingenue sort of character, so you want to go with a song sung by a similar sort of character. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head with the same range and character is "Far From the Home I Love", which is sung by Hodel in Fiddler On the Roof.

Break a leg, dear!

~ Zelda

Hidden Away
01-27-2008, 08:26 PM
"Think of Me" is NOT a good idea. First of all, the role of Christine in general is VERY advanced, and it's hard for a young girl to do without hurting herself. Secondly, POTO songs are so overdone in auditions that auditioners generally don't like hearing them, as they are done a thousand times by the time the audition period is done, and you won't stand out at all.

Now, what kind of audition song you need depends on the role you want. If it's Golde, more of a middle-range song is needed. If it's Hodel, you'll want a soprano song. Generally, you can't go wrong with anything from Jekyll and Hyde. I would strongly suggest looking into the music for it.

Any more questions, don't hesitate to ask. I always give this advice to people who want to sing POTO songs for auditions; trust me, it never works.

~ Zelda

Sorry for correcting, but I've never had a vocal lesson in my life (darn neighborhood with nobody that offers leassons) and I sang it, and I actually did very well, I've nailed the last note two in a day. And I didn't kill myself as well...
And two, even though it was a a bit redundant, actually there was only two girls that attempted (me and some other girl. I hate to say so but she struggled with the "flower's fade the fruit of summer fades..." and the cadenza and also the ending two notes.) And the people actually told me they have neve head the song in so long...I was happy enough with that, even if I don't get into the school. Well sorry for bursting your bubble, but if you train your voice and push yourself for you hardest and best performance then I suppose you could do it!

Christine Daaé
01-27-2008, 09:30 PM
Sorry for correcting, but I've never had a vocal lesson in my life (darn neighborhood with nobody that offers leassons) and I sang it, and I actually did very well, I've nailed the last note two in a day. And I didn't kill myself as well...
And two, even though it was a a bit redundant, actually there was only two girls that attempted (me and some other girl. I hate to say so but she struggled with the "flower's fade the fruit of summer fades..." and the cadenza and also the ending two notes.) And the people actually told me they have neve head the song in so long...I was happy enough with that, even if I don't get into the school. Well sorry for bursting your bubble, but if you train your voice and push yourself for you hardest and best performance then I suppose you could do it!

Firstly -- as for "bursting my bubble", that's hard to do if you don't have the training to back it up. Second, this isn't a thread for you to brag about your accomplishments or prove somebody wrong. Thirdly, having been told a thousand times what will ruin my voice and what will not, "pushing" oneself is a surefire way to ruin one's voice in no time.

Please don't claim to be an expert in an area you've already admitted to knowing nothing about.

~ Zelda

Christine's Shadow
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Zelda is right, pushing one's voice is a sure fire way to blow your voice without the right training.

As for the audition coming up, thanks for the song suggestion. My vocal coach seemed happy with the suggestion-- so if he can find his sheet music to fiddler on the roof, I think that will be a good number. I think I will be preparing "Sixteen Going On Seventeen" just in case I'm asked to sing it. Better to be prepared! Thanks so much for the suggestion, and good wishes Zelda. I'll be sure to let you know how the audition went! <3

ChristineJ16
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
Here's my little back story: I took music lessons before I even knew anything about the Phantom story. I started in grade school. Why did I want to sing? Because it was fun, I just wanted to. After I discovered the Phantom story I thought, okay, cool, but I'm still going to continue with music classes. I stayed with my music classes all thru-out school and well into college as well. Have I sung songs from Phantom? Yup and even in front of an audience for performances. It was always just something fun to do. :D

Curious, did the majority of you take up singing after discovering the story of the Phantom?

Christine's Shadow
01-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I generally had been singing since I found out I had a voice. Not well mind you. When I was little I could carry a note and my uncle said I had pitch, but it wasn't great. Generally, I couldn't sing well. Hey, he was honest. Singing never really took hold of me until the summer between grade 5 and 6. My best friend was a singer, and I had sung maybe 2 duets with her at church.

I ended up going to a choir camp (where I now work every summer, it's so much fun) and from there I was asked to audition late during call backs for my city choir because the choir director's wife was a minister at one of the churches we sang at. Behold! I was the only one in Toronto! (most of the girls came from outside Toronto and east of there) From then on I've been singing weekly during practices and concerts. At this point in time, I knew OF phantom, but I didn't know anything about it. My grandpa and grandma loved the musical, my mom had seen it 8 times during it's run in Toronto, twice when she was pregnant with me. She even played the Canadian cast recording to me by putting headphones to her belly! I didn't become fully aware of Phantom until 2 years later in grade 8, when my mom brought home the dvd. I absolutely fell in love with it. In a sense, Phantom and music became my drive and my shelter during when I was 13, having gone through a very rough spot in my life then.

I pushed myself to sing more after phantom and I've been singing with I guess (pardon the cheesiness of this line) a renewed sense of heart and soul. But the final answer to your question is no, I had been singing for a while before I found out about phantom (About 3 years) but Phantom pushed me to sing more and put feeling into it. That's a great question!

rosemasquerader
02-07-2008, 10:08 PM
I love singing, I can't go a day without doing so. Yet I don't want a full on career based on it, I'm dedicated to other things. But is there a way or ways that I can give the world my voice and see others enjoy it and stuff w/o making it a full on career?

ChristineJ16
02-07-2008, 10:15 PM
I love singing, I can't go a day without doing so. Yet I don't want a full on career based on it, I'm dedicated to other things. But is there a way or ways that I can give the world my voice and see others enjoy it and stuff w/o making it a full on career?

Karoke is one way to show off your voice in front of others. It's also a lot of fun too. You could also take music classes. I remember in college there were some ladies that joined just so they could have fun singing. There are a variety of classes like that. Church choir is another idea.

Christine Daaé
02-08-2008, 05:03 AM
I don't know if it's true across the country, but in California, you can take "enrichment" courses at community colleges -- which are not for credit or a grade, and might even be free, if I recall correctly.

There are community college courses in voice, of course, and there's usually more than one kind of chorus class. Church is also a good option, if you go regularly; but there are usually also more than one choral ensembles in most counties, I would assume. At least in the Bay Area, every symphony I've ever heard of has had a choral ensemble. A lot of them are audition-only, if not all of them.

Look online for the kinds of musical opportunities in your area; I know there are directories out there, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'll definitely poke around the Internet, though, and find some national directories for you.

EDIT: I just found ChoralNet (http://www.choralnet.org/choirs/). Check it out; it's pretty awesome.

~ Zelda

The Countess
03-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Forgive me if this has already been asked, I'm too lazy to go back and look. :rolleyes:

I've been wanting to record myself for you lovely people, but I'm not sure what I would need to do so. Can anyone tell me the equipment I would need and the price range, please?

masquerading rose
03-17-2008, 06:18 AM
Well, everything at Wal-Mart is cheap! lol. MP3's usually have pretty good sound quality. You can get a good one (again at the amazing Wal-Mart) for about twenty dollars. The REALLY good ones for about 60-70 U.S. dollars. I hope I helped! if not, I am very sorry.

The Countess
03-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Yes it did! So would I need anything else to record myself? (other than talent ;) )

masquerading rose
03-18-2008, 02:24 AM
You would need the correct cords for getting your recording to your computer which should come with your MP3. Also, you would need to upload the recording to youtube or quicktime or something along those lines. Correct me if I'm wrong, peoples.

The Countess
03-20-2008, 01:54 AM
I think that that would sound about right. Would I need a microphone of any kind?

Christine Daaé
03-20-2008, 02:39 AM
Some MP3 players have a small microphone on them already. Mine does. In fact, I think most do.

Do figure it out soon, because we'd love to hear you! I'm also going to try to post more of myself sometime.

~ Zelda

Ingenuous Soprano
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm taking voice lessons (have been since December) and have been progressing pretty quickly, but I'm still having trouble with that muscle. The one that's just above the pubic bone and right below the belly. I'm pulling it in, but I'm having trouble figuring out how much to pull it in. Any suggestions?

tiannangel
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not actually sure about that one, but I think you shouldn't pull in too much, as that wil ruin the sound. Try pulling it in medium-ly (does that make sense?) otherwise, sorry, can't help you. T.T

I heard that holding a pencil in your mouth/teeth will help open the throat when you sing..does that work?

Christine's Shadow
04-16-2008, 02:59 AM
I think that depends on what you believe in. Sort of "wives tales" for singing.

Holding a pen/pencil in your teeth most DEFINATELY helps you pronounce your words (or even holding two fingers between your teeth, wide open)

as for the throat? Personally, as I singer, I find it's all in your head and what you picture that causes your body to respond. I find it best to picture that a LARGE orange is sitting on the back of your tongue, holding the back of your mouth open and wide-- but also lifting what is called the soft pallet higher, which makes it easier to hit higher notes. For some singers, it's easier to hit the higher notes without much thought (your sopranos), and their soft pallet is more "flexible" allowing them to sing as high as they do. (or what I call high, I can't go higher than a high A)

I hope that helps you Tiannangel. :) All of this is what both my vocal coach and choir director have told me, so I hope it helps you as much as it did for me.

tiannangel
04-16-2008, 07:11 AM
Thankyou!
Our old choir teacher had a different visual. She always brought her dreaded rubber band. Everytime she brings it out and makes us make the same shape with the mouth as the rubber band. I think it helped, though everyone still hated it.
Does anyone know the highest note any person can ever sing?

Ingenuous Soprano
04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
I think it's G above high C, but I'm not sure. It's just a guess.

Christine's Shadow
04-16-2008, 07:32 PM
I know a singer who can sing higher, so she's in the whistle range. It's strangely nice to hear.

The highest note ever sang? Well you never know. I think the Lady of the Night suite from the Magic flute goes higher than that.

If you're asking the general question: how high can I ever go? that is all up to you and how well/fast your voice matures. I'm 16, and my voice matured extremely fast in the past year, but my range is very low. (I'm hitting an octave below middle C now) It again, depends on each person. For all I know, I might only stay at a high A and never go any higher in my life. I've hit a high C twice in my life, and it took everything out of me. About 3 months ago I had the proudest moment of my life when I sang a high E, but even then it was hardly in tune, and I couldn't sing for 2 days following that because apparently I wasn't warmed up enough. So it really depends on how hard you push yourself (with lots of help from a professional teacher!) and how often you practice. My friend can sing as high as she can because she practices every day, she has 2 different singing teachers (her mother and a hired teacher) and she's also in the city choir with me.

I might suggest experimenting with your voice on a good day, when you've warmed up for at least an hour. Your voice also works best in the shower. The acoustics are great in the bathroom, and the moisture most DEFINITELY helps your voice. On regular days I'm drinking at least 3 bottles (that's three full nalgene bottles) a day. On rehearsal days and voice lesson days, I'm drinking at least 5. You may have to pee a LOT but hey, it works out better in the end :)

The Countess
04-17-2008, 02:53 AM
Highest note? Well in the Magic Flute, as Christine's Shadow, the QUEEN of the Night's aria goes up to an F which is higher than the note Christine hits at the end of POTO (Eb).

The highest note that I've ever personally hit the F on my good days but it's not exactly whistle or at least I don't think it is...is that bad?

Another question, does anyone have a really big voice here?

Hidden Away
04-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Ton of people here have a very big voice on a regular basis!!! OMG! I love zelda's version of batti batti....I can hit notes, just not professionally, that's what Gov. school is for in Applyed voice! can't wait for those classes next years!

Hidden Away
04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I might suggest experimenting with your voice on a good day, when you've warmed up for at least an hour. Your voice also works best in the shower. The acoustics are great in the bathroom, and the moisture most DEFINITELY helps your voice. On regular days I'm drinking at least 3 bottles (that's three full nalgene bottles) a day. On rehearsal days and voice lesson days, I'm drinking at least 5. You may have to pee a LOT but hey, it works out better in the end :)

Thank you for agreeing with the shower thing! Every times I step outta that shower every night, mom or dad asks, "Did you have a good time at the Gala?" I laugh everytime!

The Countess
04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
What do you mean on a regular basis? Questions are bad for me, so spare me the torture and tell my pretty please?

Christine Daaé
04-19-2008, 09:56 PM
I have a big voice when I know the song very well, and only then. Usually only in my upper registers, too.

And thank you, Erika, for the compliment! I'd say more, but I have to skedaddle to work.

~ Zelda

tiannangel
05-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I am a bit worried.
For the past few days, I haven't been able to reach quite a couple of high notes that I could normally reach.
I don't know what happened, but I do know that I'm not sick, I do not have a sore throat, and I didn't strain my voice either.
I just can't seem to get there anymore...
Can somebody help me?
My vocal teacher was really disappointed, and I am worried I won’t be able to reach those notes again…

More than Music
05-01-2008, 03:14 PM
tiannangel: Maybe your voice is maturing? I don't know, but it seems like something to consider for me. That's what I would think if it happened to me.

The Countess
05-03-2008, 03:07 PM
I'd try drinking lots of water and maybe resting it for it a bit but like MtM said, you're voice is probably maturing a little. I remeber one day I couldn't hit any notes in TOM and then in a couple of days BOOM I'm hitting Fs.

Ingenuous Soprano
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Another thing is you might not be using enough of that pesky/vital muscle.

Madame le Courayer
05-08-2008, 05:15 PM
I need some advice from some seasoned performers. I used to be a first soprano but ever since a long bout with brochitis I have not been able to, shall we say, achieve my former glory. I cannot hit high notes that I once did and this has been going on for the better part of a year now! My voice is something more of an alto at this point.
Any suggestions on how to get it back to what it was before? Or is it gone for good? :(

Hidden Away
05-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm having the same probn...lol I could only hit some where in the second octave...what happened! lol well that advice better come! lol Zelda? anything?

The Countess
05-18-2008, 06:29 PM
Well, everyone knows that voices change, but sometimes people forget that girls' voices change too. Ours mature just as much as boys' do unfortunaly. It could be that, or it could be that you're pushing yourselve too hard and your cords become irratated and tighten which causes the little empty squeak you hear when you fail to hit a high note.

I would suggest working on your lower register for a while instead until you find out what is wrong exactly. Don't push yourself though because then you could hurt your upper register.

Christine Daaé
05-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Your voices are probably changing.

I could hit all sorts of crazy-high notes when I was thirteen; but once I got to be fourteen, suddenly I lost most of my higher range. It took four years of my voice maturing for it to get back to where it was. Formal training definitely helped, of course. I'm eighteen now, and got my crazy-high notes back around my last birthday, in better shape than they were at thirteen.

I'm sorry to say it -- but if you're very young and your voice is maturing, it may very well take a while. In the meantime, get formal lessons if you can; and whatever you do, DO NOT PUSH YOURSELF. That will only cause you to ruin your voice for good if you do it too much.

Anyone remember Charlotte Church and how everyone lauded her soprano voice? (I don't think she was even that good, but that's a digression for another time.) Remember how she was singing -- or attempting, anyway -- difficult arias that no twelve- or sixteen-year-old should ever, EVER do?

Her voice is completely shot now. She can supposedly manage middle-range pop songs now, à la Britney Spears; but even that album got terrible reviews saying she sounded atrocious. She will likely never get that range back, because she was pushed too hard, too early. She had such potential, too, which is why I think her vocal coach ought to be shot. (Kidding. Kind of.) She is now the prime cautionary tale in singing circles.

So, what I'm saying is this: don't worry, be patient, and help the process with lessons if you can.

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
I need some advice.

How exactly do I start singing with my diophragm more than my throat? I sing mostly with my diophragm, but some notes I just naturally use my throat on. How can I strengthen that muscle?

The Countess
05-20-2008, 12:41 AM
What my teacher told me to do was very basic and I'm sure you've heard of it. Lie on the floor with a book to your tummy and breathe with your diaphragm. Why lying down? Because you naturally breathe "backwards" when you lie down. But you probably already knew that.

What I would do to stop singing with your throat so much is really concetrate on expanding your diaphragm more than anything else. Even use your hands to show the expandtion with it helps. But what ever you do, do not dip into your chest voice. Your chest voice is fine for those lower notes, but when you sing in it all the time, you could total your upper register.

I'm not expert, I've only taken real lesson for about a year, so listen to Zelda's advice more if she has any to give.

Madame le Courayer
05-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Thank you Zelda and Viktoria for the advice. I have also been told to take up swimming underwater to improve my lung capacity and ability to hold note longer. Ever heard of this or have any comments on it?

tiannangel
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Yes, I have heard about this one.
Apparently, it actually does work, as swimming is pacing yourself and your breathing, allowing your lungs to expand and contract move efficiently or something like that... XD

I'm not actually sure whether this had any effect on my voice, as I took up swimming when i was 3, and back then, I didn't sing that much:D

The Countess
05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Yup, that definitly helps. I can actually hold my breathe underwater for 80 seconds on average. It's a shame that I have asthma though. Do you think that it's ironic that a lot of theatre geeks have asthma?

Madame le Courayer
05-24-2008, 05:41 AM
Tonight I sang at the local high school's graduation ceremony and I hit a few pretty high notes. Now I'm suffering from a migraine that won't quit! Could I have pushed myself a wee bit too much ya think? :eek:

tiannangel
05-24-2008, 11:37 AM
It could also be the fact that the migrane might have nothing to do with you singing high notes...It could be just stress.

Try not to push yourself too much, or you can really hurt your vocal chords. My friends strained herself one day for a full-day Choir rehearsal, and she couldn't speak for a week.
So try to take it easy on your voice.

Christine's Shadow
05-24-2008, 07:16 PM
It's good to see so many singers around in this board really-- and smart ones too! I'm actually back to seek some advice once again. My last audition-- Liesl, went fairly well, but I didn't get the part. I was one of the youngest girls there (the majority were around 18-21 years old). Nonetheless, thanks for you advice last time. :)

I have another audition coming up-- this time for a community theatre about 40 minutes away from where I live. They're doing Beauty and the Beast-- and I'm just going to audition I guess for more experience really (that was my downfall in my last audition). Nonetheless I'm going through the Belle audition, and I'd like to have a chance of getting good feedback. Our audition repertoire includes: "Home" from the show, and another Broadway song of our choice. I think I'm going to go all out here, and show what I can do. I'm a belter-- most songs from Wicked show this-- but my range has has also grown since my last audition. I have roughly 2 octaves and a bit. I can now sing to a G (just sitting on top of the staff) comfortably, and my lowest note is still an E (the last note in "I'm Not That Girl")

Any suggestions for songs? It doesn't have to show of my range, but maybe just song ideas in general. I was looking at songs from Jekyll and Hyde, Wicked, A Chorus Line, and maybe for kicks, Chicago. The only "rule" for this audition is, that the second song must be a Broadway piece. So, any suggestions are very welcome. ^^ thanks again guys.

Ingenuous Soprano
05-25-2008, 12:38 AM
I know you don't have to hit the E in A Change in Me because I learned it and there's an optional note which is an octave higher (that's what I did).
Anyway, song. I would recommend Someone Like You from Jekyll and Hyde. And you can sing it "as Belle" too. It's very Belle Reprise in a way.
Break a leg!

Christine Daaé
05-26-2008, 06:32 PM
I played Belle my senior year of high school, which was last year, and auditioned very successfully with "Someone Like You". It's in Belle's general tessitura, and you can really show off your lower range -- which Belle needs.

Belle also needs at least a high F, too, which it appears you've got.

If you need anything else, Kearyn, that's really specific, be sure to send a PM my way or catch me when I'm next on AIM . . . I still remember the whole thing very well.

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
05-29-2008, 09:36 PM
YAY! I made the talent show. I'm singing Brave. There's only one note in it that's too low fo rme to hit. Anybody know anyway I can learn that note before.... Friday?

The Countess
05-31-2008, 04:03 PM
You could try to chest it, that may help (not the entire song though). I haven't tampered with my lower register as much, but you'll need a lot of support for it to sound well supported. If all else fails, you could raise it up an octave. What note is it? :)

More than Music
06-01-2008, 02:38 AM
I know this is kind of an odd question to ask, but does anyone know how I can make my voice more original? I feel that it's so dull now...

Is originality something that happens as a voice develops, or do I have to do something crazy with my voice to get it?

The Countess
06-01-2008, 04:28 PM
I get what you mean, but your voice is your voice and I'm not sure how you can physically change it.

But maybe you could try singing with more passion? Remeber, when you sing you want people to actually listen, no hang on each and every word that comes from your mouth. It has to be colorful.

More than Music
06-01-2008, 09:53 PM
So, basically let my voice be what it's going to be? Let it free? Okay, that makes sense... I'll try to let it out more. It's just that I'm the lead singer for a band that we are slowly starting, and I just don't feel that my voice has enough to make the music stand out... I guess my voice is still maturing.

Thanks!

The Countess
06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
No problem! Glad I could actually help someone out on this board for once.

Now I have a question for all of you. I'm also going to be singing in a talent show for my class at the very end of the week. My problem is, I've had a sore throat for about 2 days now. I've bearly talked and I've been drinking a lot tea (I hate most teas so I'm obviously desperate) but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to make it heal faster.

I'm also worried that I won't be able to practice my song enough in time and it'll be a mess! Ah!

Ingenuous Soprano
06-03-2008, 01:32 AM
I find honey very soothing.
Above all, REST! I cannot stress that enough. go to bed early for few days. Take naps. Be quiet. Let your body rest. It needs it.
And instead of hot tea, just drink it warm. It's more soothing going down that way.

Madame le Courayer
06-03-2008, 04:12 AM
I know this sounds dramatic but try not to talk so much. Write it down on a pad if you must. I have done this and so have many famous singers in the past who had throat problems.
I recall hearing how, back in the fifties, Sinatra lost his voice on stage and for five days couldn't speak. His doctors ordered him to use the pen and pad to communicate. It works for us "little people" too! ;)
And never underestimate the power of tea with honey! Plain hot water is very cleansing and helpful too. Let it cool a bit but not too much. Sounds disgusting but trust me it works.
Stay away from carbonated beverages that can irritate your throat and take your vitamin C. Eat healthy foods.
Above all, do not push yourself. If you're not fully healed don't try it. I know that sucks but preserving your voice is more important.
Good luck and feel better! :)

The Countess
06-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Thank you girls. I shall try that. Unfortunatly, I've come down with a fit of coughing as well so I hope I'll still be able to perform. I actually missed school today it got so bad.

Any, I hope I can have one of my friends record me singing at the talent show so you guys can hear me for once. I'm changing it up and doing something fun for once by singing Popular from Wicked.

maskedsinger
06-06-2008, 08:46 PM
So I looked at the rules and I wanted to post a clip of me singing. So I am going to, I am sorry if that's wrong, but I will be happy to delete it. So I needed a song to audition for Cinderella with and decided that everyone would be singing In My Own Little Corner so I decided to audition with Much More. I'm still waiting to hear back. Anyways please let me know what you think. Oh also, I have a very powerful voice so don't listen to it with your speakers turned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqxKqzAAxpM

tiannangel
06-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Wow! Your voice is really good!
You're right, your voice is strong, definitely not a bad thing :D
Nice vibrato you've got there, adds to the whole effect brilliantly.
In all: wonderful!!

The Countess
06-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Very nice! Yes, us big voiced people actually have a tough job when we're younger. My voice teacher says that it's a hard road now, but it really pays off if you want singing as a profession because they'll want people who are able to sing over an entire orchestra.

Any way, I think you just need to have a little more forward resinance with the high notes instead of making them go too far in your mouth. You have great support on them though and best of wishes with the audition. Do tell us what you get :)

As my cold delema, my voice cleared up it seems just in time for the talent show. Everyone loved my performance and thought it was funny. I'm actually very proud of myself with this one. Unfortunatly, I did not get to record it, but if I can steal my sister's camera, I'll give ya'll something.

maskedsinger
06-07-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks you guys. I actually just got a call from the director and I got Cinderella. So I am very happy.

That's good to hear Viktoria (random, but I like how you spell your name). What did you sing? I would love to hear it too.

Thanks for the support guys!!

(spammmmmmm)

The Countess
06-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Congrats! You have a great voice for Cinderella (forgot to mention that earlier). Good luck! By the way, how old are exactly. No offense, but you look very young in the video.

I personally have been singing opera formally since I was 12. I remember my first aria in my lessons was Giol sol le dela Gange or something like that. Anyway, I also tamper with show tunes and like to belt a lot and stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary honestly.

masquerading rose
07-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Forgive me for interrupting, but I need some help. I have a huge audition coming up in January (I'm auditioning for a school of the arts). I need a good soprano song from Broadway/off-Broadway (current or past) and I need a monologue. If anybody has any suggestions, fee free to tell me, 'cause I need them badly. Thank you,

Chrissy

Christine Daaé
07-11-2008, 03:13 AM
"Green Finch and Linnet Bird" from Sweeney Todd is always a winner. As for monologues, there's a particular monologue from a play called Miss Julie, by Strindberg, which went over really well whenever I used it.

I used both of these for an audition into an acting program, and passed with flying colors, as it were.

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
07-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks for the song! I actually might use it. I'll sing it for my mom and see what she thinks of it with my voice. lovely song. Thanks.

As for the monologue, I can't find it. Is there a monologue aimed for teenagers that you know of and that you know where it is? Thanks.

Christine's Shadow
07-11-2008, 04:38 AM
hey everyone-- I want to thank you for the suggestions when I asked for them for my Belle audition. It went surprisingly well! I was actually cast as the understudy, but I had to turn down the role because my mom discovered it was in Ancaster (in other wise- a million miles away from where I live) and I actually got in trouble for auditioning. o.o oh well. It was a great experience anyway, thanks again for the suggestions last time! <3

masquerading rose
07-11-2008, 10:00 PM
Congrats, Kearyn for getting the role. I'm sorry you had to turn it down. That must have been hard...

Okay, so I decided on Green Finch and Linnet Bird, but I'm still stuck on my audition piece. I have one from Alice in Wonderland, Sound of Music, and You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, but I'm still a little stuck on which one to use. But mucho thanks to Zelda for requesting the song.

xXphantomaddictedXx
07-13-2008, 12:01 AM
Okay, I have a question. My next goal in my voice lessons is to sing "Think of Me" from POTO, but my voice teacher says we have to work up to singing it. My question is, what is a good song for a mezzo-soprano/soprano that would a) be a stepping-stone to "Think of Me," and b) be from another well-known ALW musical? If anyone has suggestions, they would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ingenuous Soprano
07-13-2008, 05:24 AM
Well, really I wouldn't do something ALW to help get there faster. I'd do a lot of Italian songs. They open up the voice a lot quicker than Musical Theatre songs do. I'm not sure why, I just know that it's true. Maybe Zelda knows why, she's a lot farther ahead than I am.
Anyway. Like I said, the Italian songs really open up the voice and an free, strong voice is what you need for that song. If you haven't done Italian songs in your lessons before, talk to your teacher about it. Look at a book called 26 Italian Songs and Arias in whatever type you need now. I'm a very light soprano (as of now. I'm very early on in the process), yet I use the medium high right now. But be sure you talk to your teacher.
Bonne chance.

Christine Daaé
07-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Hmm . . . pity you can't find the Miss Julie monologue; but I still have it, in case you'd like me to copy it and PM it to you. It's a pretty intense monologue, mind . . . but if you'd like, I can show it to you, and you can see what you think.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Alice in Wonderland piece.

For the future, I have a bunch of monologue books that I can make a list of as "suggested reading", for anyone who is interested. It's good to have books like that for these things, and not just one.

~ Zelda

masquerading rose
07-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Zelda, you are my hero! *loves Zelda* send me anything and everything you think is fitting for me. It would be very much appreciated!

Sarah- You're teacher and Nancy are right. Actually, I was talking to an expert at a music store and he said to do showtunes and musical theatre before opera, because if you go the other way you could potentially ruin your voice and that would be horrible. Seeing as Phantom is a pretty operatic musical, I'd start out with a show tunes song, gradually getting higher in range as you expand it. Correct me, please if I'm wrong.

Hope it helps,
Chrissy

The Countess
07-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Doesn't it depend on what aria you're doing though? I mean, I started out with a very, VERY simple one when I began taken classes and I've been told that my voice is fairly healthy (all excpet for my tendency of fake vibrato...grrrr). I suppse people could say otherwise but I personally believe that there would be some exceptions.

Hidden Away
08-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Question: It just came to me FUNNY! What is the difference between regular singing and opera singing? isn't it the way the voice vibrates as it climbs up the scales...right?

More than Music
08-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Hm, I'd think it was the way the notes are sang. Like, there's no belting in opera, that I know of. Maybe I'm wrong. XD

But I think that's the difference; opera is a style of singing completely it's own.

What is it when the voice, even after much scales a day and practice with good breathing, just seems to hit a stopping point with volume? I think I should be able to go louder than I am. Maybe that's one of the major differences with lessons? I've never had any, just tips.

Hidden Away
08-09-2008, 03:03 AM
Any other things to add people? I need as much info as I can have...thank you Ambrosette, and umm .....think think think..I'm really tired! LOL And an add on thingie!

What exactly is belting?

masquerading rose
08-09-2008, 04:50 AM
MtM is right. Opera singing is a style all its own and takes years of practice whereas regular singing is only... well... singing.

Belting is like useing your chest voice, or normal singing with a loud-ish volume, whereas if you try to belt with opera you can potentially ruin your voice.

MtM- With volume, slowly do crecendos and reach your stopping point. Don't push yourself. But try supporting more when you sing. You can do some diaphragm exercises to get better at that if that's the problem.

Hope I helped you guys! Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Chris

More than Music
08-09-2008, 06:31 AM
MtM is right. Opera singing is a style all its own and takes years of practice whereas regular singing is only... well... singing.

Ha, I'm actually learning something! ^_^

MtM- With volume, slowly do crecendos and reach your stopping point. Don't push yourself. But try supporting more when you sing. You can do some diaphragm exercises to get better at that if that's the problem.

Hm. I do diaphragm exercises often, but I guess I am too laxed, because I'm not taking lessons. XD I'll try to do them more often, and work on that warmup. Thanks, Chrissy! ^_^

Also, what if I want to get a lower range, but scales don't seem to be helping much? I feel so at loss. XD

masquerading rose
08-09-2008, 07:58 PM
Find your lowest note. Master that and then gradually try to go lower. You might hit it for only a nano second, but HEY! You hit it! so gradually try to go lower. Not sure how? Remember teh looser your vocal chords, the lower you go, the tighter they are, the higher you go so try to get your vocal chords nice and loose. Hope I helped, MtM my dear!

phantom's_rose
08-27-2008, 02:41 AM
...**joins converse**

Heeeey People! I have seized this thread...into my knowledge. Yeahh....umm....I really don't have muuuch to say...soo....STATUS REPORT! :D

Vocal Range: Soprano (you should of seen my reaction when I got into the soprano range...let's just say I was more than estatic)

Currently Sining: Right now we are doing "Inscription of Hope". That is a really pretty song. And a few from "Grease". :O I know. The only one we have done from that so far is "We Go Together".

We go togetherr like rama lama lama ka dingaty ding de dong! Remembered forrreveerrrr like sho wop sho wada wada yippity boom de boom. CHANG CHANG! CHANGITY CHANG sho bop. Something somthing THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! That song is fun. XDDDDD

masquerading rose
09-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes. That song is fun...

Where you a mezzo or alto before? Is that why you were excited?

tiannangel
10-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Okay, I am a mezzo soprano, but I can reach the same range as a soprano, and an alto...My teacher said my range was good, but one thing I wanted to ask:
The thing is, If I want to be able to sing lower OR higher, will I have to sacrifice some low/high notes? Because as Christina said, the looser your vocal chords are, the lower you go, and the tighter they are, the higher you go. So if I loosen my vocal chords for low notes, will I loose the ability to sing my highest notes?
Help please!

ChristineJ16
10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
And a few from "Grease". :O I know. The only one we have done from that so far is "We Go Together".

We go togetherr like rama lama lama ka dingaty ding de dong! Remembered forrreveerrrr like sho wop sho wada wada yippity boom de boom. CHANG CHANG! CHANGITY CHANG sho bop. Something somthing THAT'S THE WAY IT SHOULD BEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! That song is fun. XDDDDD

I had sung that in my high school choir. We did a Grease medley for this Broadway thing. That song got stuck in my head......and now it's getting stuck again, lol!

masquerading rose
10-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Okay, I am a mezzo soprano, but I can reach the same range as a soprano, and an alto...My teacher said my range was good, but one thing I wanted to ask:
The thing is, If I want to be able to sing lower OR higher, will I have to sacrifice some low/high notes? Because as Christina said, the looser your vocal chords are, the lower you go, and the tighter they are, the higher you go. So if I loosen my vocal chords for low notes, will I loose the ability to sing my highest notes?
Help please!

You probabally won't. What I meant was the looser you MAKE your vocal chords, the lower you go. You can adjust them. That's how you talk (or so my science teacher says). And ergo, thats how you sing. You shouldn't loose your ability to reach to higher or lower notes. Just keep practicing with your entire range and keep your voice healthy as well as singing properly. If you do that, you will be fine, I'm sure. Correct me I'm wrong, people, please!

phantom's_rose
10-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Well I might of been...before I got tested we weren't cool enough to have ranges. My choir teached just kinda split us up...one group had the melody, the other didn't...

Okay. Update. I really personally thing my teacher should tell us these things at the beigining of the year...but we are doing our Grease songs in the spring. Our fall songs are now "Inscription of Hope", "Lulaby" BILLY JOEL!! , "Carol of the Bells" and...she just added one....it's like...Of Thee I Sing or something...

^ And Chrissy, that sounds about right to me...you have some really good advice, there!

masquerading rose
10-25-2008, 04:23 AM
Thank you!

Ooooh! Carol of the Bells? I love that song, our chior is singing that two. Unfirtunately, I'm the only one who can sing that G and knows how to pronounce words properly, so I have to carry the entire section since they sort of drop out at the end.
Any advice for me to give them on singing that G? My Choir teacher is so busy helping the Altos sing their counter melody, which leads into their harmony. I don't want to have to sing over them all because they aren't singing at all. Even though I can sing that note that loudly quite well, their parents will get mad at me for drowning out their children! Not to mention three of them glare at me as they drop out the song and I move on smoothly. Help?

phantom's_rose
10-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Yes, me too! I hardly have time to breath in between sentences. XD Yeah, I'm one of 4 who can hit the G.
The words are fun. XD Fast words...except for the "Merry merry merry" part...that part throws me off.

Well our choir teacher tried slowing the song down quite a bit so you had more time to breath and concentrate on hiting the note.
And then she thought the chord warm-ups would help...graudly getting higher while singing, "Gaily the ring". I guess that helped some people. As for the others, they are still working on it, or just singing Alto for that certain part because they don't want to work on it.

tiannangel
10-26-2008, 12:23 AM
*jumps in*
Heyo!
Basically, I was wondering if you guys can help me choose a song? You see, they're holding auditions for the Acapella choir next next week, and I am trying out. But one problem: I don't know what song to sing!
Anyone have any ideas?

masquerading rose
10-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Well what vocal part do you sing, and what style does the A Capella Choir do?

I'd chose a song that suits both your personality and voice type. Be sure it shows every part of your range, the lows, the highs and the middles. But don't pick a song that's too low, or too high. try to stick within your middle range so that you can jump up or down easier. Hope that helped.

xXphantomaddictedXx
10-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Hello, everyone!!

I just wanted to give a quick update. My voice teacher and I looked around, and finally decided on two stepping-stones to "Think of Me." One is a song called, "I Could have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady, and the other is a song called "Falling In Love With Love," and it is from Oklahoma. We are currently working on the one from My Fair Lady, but in the next few months, we will begin to work on the one from Oklahoma.

The Countess
10-28-2008, 02:35 AM
No way! I'm working on ICHDAN too! My instructer wants me start working with more classic Bway music to prepare for our school's musical.

Isn't it just the funnest song, though? Especially the high note at the end!

Kiri_Giry
10-29-2008, 01:05 AM
Oh, my, gosh. I have soo many question.

Kiri_Giry
10-29-2008, 01:06 AM
To start off... breathing I get it but I don't get it no matter how many times Viktoria drills it into me the screw seems to pop out.

The Countess
10-31-2008, 01:43 AM
Again dahling, just lay on your back when you warm up because you breathe the right way naturally when you're on you're lying down. Try not breathing that way only when you're singing. Soon enough, it'll feel almost backwards if you breathe the "normal" way.

phantom's_rose
11-01-2008, 11:19 PM
*pokes head in* Yes, laying on your back helps quite a bit! Make sure you're breathing out of your stomach. When you breath in, your stomach should go up, and your shoulders shouldn't move. You could try putting a book, like a text book, on your stomach while you lie down. ;)

Kiri_Giry
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh... I should have remembered that! Thank you! I love you all. <3 Hehehe.

phantom's_rose
11-06-2008, 11:22 PM
Love you too! ;)

UPDATE

It turns out we aren't really singing "I Hope You Dance" in the concert. We were singing it for fun. That disapointed me. Just needed to let that out.

Kiri_Giry
11-09-2008, 11:42 PM
S'okay.

Christine's Shadow
11-11-2008, 11:30 PM
To start off... breathing I get it but I don't get it no matter how many times Viktoria drills it into me the screw seems to pop out.

Another good idea to focus on breathing, is to find a wall and face towards it, with your palms against the wall-- sort of like you are about to do a push-up against the wall. Sing a few scales, and as you start to go higher (or lower) and need more air, press against the wall with everything you have, relaxing as you come back down (or up). You'll notice that your stomach uses MUCH more muscle than you realized, and you'll learn to start looking for that same feeling as you breath while singing.

Practice again singing scales, tightening your diaphragm (the muscle that helps the MOST while singing, speaking air-wise) and instead of pushing on the wall-- use your arms to push DOWN as you sing higher-- if you wish to push against something physical, use a low chair with a back. As you continue this practice-- most find that their muscles start to react without having to push against anything. The more strength you have with your stomach (diaphragm) the more room you can make for your lungs-- and yay! more air! This does take REGULAR practice just to get breathing right-- some students have entire vocal lessons with teachers JUST on breathing, so make sure when your singing teacher teaches you something you engage in regular (every other day for an hour or two, or every day for half an hour) practice or else you'll go back to the teacher, take a step forward only to go two steps back.

The general rule for more air has been mentioned before. Sing from your stomach. Some people I tell to sing from their bellybutton because sometimes it's just easier to picture-- and PRACTICE! :)

Kiri_Giry
11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks. You people on this forum are so loving! :)

Hidden Away
11-14-2008, 03:11 AM
Yea they are!

Question!!!

Might have been previously spoken about but what is the register of a voice when they sing higher notes.

ex.
How did Sierra Bogess (sp?) use her voice in The Little Mermaid. It's not exactly opera but it's still a high notes.

I'm thinking that it's sorta a diaphragm pressing air up kinda thing, but it's coming through your throat but more of your head....so......ummm anyone know what I mean?

Patricia/Erika/Jane

masquerading rose
11-16-2008, 09:44 PM
For question one: Your singing soprano

For question two: its vibrato. It's not done in the throat, if so, its forced and sounds bad and fake. Sierra Bogess doesn't sound bad. Therefore, its not forced. Its all done in the diapragm. If your trying to do it, don't force it. Let it come naturally.

Hope I helped!

Hidden Away
11-19-2008, 02:59 AM
Yes you did! :) and I asked my teacher at school and he said that I'm perfectly fine so I can trust him :)

And also ummmmm yay auditions are next week!!! I'm totally siked!

"But if we're Babes In Arms, we'll make then all respect us!"

Kiri_Giry
11-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Good Luck! I had auditions for my school play a few days ago. *SIGH* I sucked. Pooey but yes, it's true, I did. I was soooo scared, here is what I decided to sing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxIeJ1zTbPo&NR=1

*Obsessed*
11-29-2008, 09:57 PM
I have a question.
I'm a soprano and I'm doing a NYSSMA solo this year. I did one last year as well. My judge told me that I needed to work on projecting my voice more, and I need to follow the shape of the pitches. Anyone got any tips to help me with this so I wont make the same makes??

*Obsessed*
11-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Oooops and to add to the one above, anyone got anytips on sight reading? (I did very horrible on that)

masquerading rose
11-30-2008, 02:24 AM
When it comes to projecting your voice, it all needs to come from the diaphragm. No throat stuff. Think of a crescendo. If you start off softer (say about a piano...) and grow to a forte, it gives it an illusion like you've projected. Project comes with a lot of practice. Imagine like your judge is across the room from you and the room is very loud and crowded. You want her to hear every note loud and clear over the crowd.

Unfortuantely, with projecting, you can often go flat or sharp (though it is better to be slightly sharp than slightly flat).

That's where pitch comes in. Imagine that you are dancing on top of every note.
Do you know where your soft pallat is? If not, take your tongue and run it along the roof of your mouth, going back until you reach a squishy part. Taht's your soft pallat. If you raise that while you sing, you will have better intonation and better control of your voice and pitches.

As for sight reading, you'll need to be more specific. How about you PM me with exact specifications on what you need to know and I will help you.

I hope I helped,

Chrissy
aka
The Crayon Queen

*Obsessed*
11-30-2008, 02:48 AM
Thank you SOOOOOOOOO much Chrissy!!!

Hidden Away
01-09-2009, 03:59 AM
Sooo... haha does anyone have tips on how to reach a short, high note during a low song. I'm not joking. There's this random one note that is freakishly high besides the other notes, it's not even funny. And I'm totally struggling with it. I've tried to sing it with a head voice, but I didn't have enough time to transition from chest to head quick enough. any tips on that as well...

Okay this is what I was basically asking

Any tips on how to:
reach random high notes
and to transition from a chest to a head voice quickly. I mean quickly! haha

Thank you so much ILYA! (I love you all)

masquerading rose
01-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Fisrt, practice jsut that high note.

Here's somehting I learned very recently: use the few notes before it as prepartion. Act like you're throwing a ball angrily at a certain spot on the wall.
Make sure you have a very good breath before it. Do not ever move your shoulders when trying to get a nice, good, quality breath. Feel your stomach expand, and push in hard, but gradually. Imagine as if your belly button with go all the way back and will reach your spine. I have a song mysel fthat I'm working on that jumps a whole octave in two counts. So expiriment with different technics and see waht works for you. Hope that helped.

The Countess
01-11-2009, 02:38 AM
Alrightly, here is me singing at last. But before I post the link I would like everyone to know some things. My real age is 14, I've been taking formal lessons for 1 1/2 years, and I can't say that this is my most shinging work. I know I need to worl on my diction and breathe support (there's a few akward pauses in this clip). I have asthma and struggle with it. Please, please no flames.

As I've mentioned, I have a very big voice so please TURN YOUR SPEAKER DOWN or it'll sound dreadful. I hope at the very least that you'll see some small form of potenial. Here goes.

Go to photobucket.com and loging as:

Username: The_Countess_sings

Password: phantom

Please tell me how I did and if the link works.

xXphantomaddictedXx
02-08-2009, 04:31 PM
Hi, everyone. I'd like to give you an update on how things are going for me in my voice lessons. For one thing, it's sort of official now - by the end of summer (September at the latest), I very well might be singing Think of Me from POTO! Also, next month - on the tenth - I will have been taking voice lessons for two years! I'm really proud of my accomplishments, as well as the fact that I stuck with it for close to two years. I'm excited to see what this next year of lessons brings for me.

phantom's_rose
02-08-2009, 06:12 PM
GUESS WHAT PEOPLE.

I dropped choir. OOOO I feel like a rebel....I still sing and all, I just couldn't stand the class and teacher and people in it...and this semester, we were going to sing songs from Grease, and I really didn't want to participate in that. We were also singing an Italian song, to my delight, but I got really, REALLY sick of everyone else complaining about how hard it was. *rolls eyes*

I'm still free for advice giving, if anyone should happen to need my help or opinion on something. *bows and skips off*

LE EDIT: *runs back* Congrats, Sarah! *huggleglomps and runs off again*

tiannangel
02-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Aww...Emmy, you dropped choir? I mean, I understand...
I wanted to drop choir, but I stayed in because of Senior vocal, which only if your in choir then you can go...T.T
Oh a slightly nerve racking note, I finished my auditions for our school musical today...T.T. We're doing the Pajama Game, a not very well known one but I think it's fun.
It was very scary, because you had to sing in front of all the auditioning people, which included about 150 girls and guys...T.T
I really hope I get the role of Gladys..but I've got a lot of competition..
Wish me luck~!

Congratz Sarah! Lucky girl!

The Countess
02-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Good luck Tianna dahling! Auditions are always the most awful thing. For our musical, we're doing Pirates of Penzence, an operatta by Guilbert and Sulivan. I got into chorus (opera singer star in an operaetta? God no!) so I've been really depressed lately.

Ugh, that recording of me is dreadful! I'll post another one later.

masquerading rose
03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Good job emmy. Good job dropping Choir. I, for one, am sticking with it despite how much I detest my class. The students, the songs, the teacher, the room... I, like Emmy am always willing to give advice. My students ask all the time so feel free to ask.
Congrats
I LOVE THE PAJAMA GAME! Good luck.

Have fun doing PoP. I love that operetta! Great fun!

Congrats to Sarah!

As for me, I have been practicing for an arts school for Musical Theatre for about.... eight months now. On January 31, I auditioned and guees what?

I MADE IT!!!!!!!!! Huzzah!I'm so proud of me! Considering it's the hardest arts school to get into in this area! YAY ME!!!!

The Countess
03-12-2009, 03:08 AM
Congrats! Maybe now you can post a video of your great art, madame? :P

Madame le Courayer
03-12-2009, 05:25 AM
I can't wait to hear you sing Sarah!! I hope you can get a recording even a poor-quality one. I wish I had one to put up!

Emmy I know how you feel about choir and don't feel bad. I was a fish outta water with my new choir director. He wanted to go in a "different direction" than our old director ( a fellow I loved btw!) and so I said he could do it with one less soprano. Ciao Bella!

The Countess
03-18-2009, 08:40 PM
So the winds have shifted and oppernunity has opened up with the sun. PoP is finally over and our annual talent show is closing in fast. That's where you come in. I'm decided on what aria/song I should sing. I was thinking about Glitter and be Gay but you know middle schoolers and the word "gay" *rolls eyes*. Then I thought about Les Oieseaux dans la Charmille from the Tales of Hoffman but I would need more people so I don't look like an idiot up there alone. Which should I do/do you have any other suggestions?

masquerading rose
03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Do you sing anything else other than opera? If so, you could sing 14G which always reminds me of Glitter and be Gay.

Do you have a certain language you'd prefer to sing in? If you want to do one in English, you can do "Last Rose of Summer"...

The Countess
03-19-2009, 03:33 AM
14G is definitly a fun song but I really want to end in an all out bang. I'm not fluent in any language but I can read Italian fairly well.

masquerading rose
03-19-2009, 05:57 AM
Would you like something fun, or a bit more subdued?

How about... Oh, shoot I can't remember the name, but Sarah Brightman did a version of it on her classics CD. It goes with the song Question on Honour... see if you can find it.

The Countess
03-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Fun is more prefered. Thank you for the assistance thus far.

Madame le Courayer
03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
I know the one you're thinking of Chrissy...It's a lovely tune but I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.
So you are going for something operatic Viktoria? Have you considered a Shirley Jones-esque song like If I Loved You or Out Of My Dreams? They're very lovely and fun though they are more light opera/broadway. But very affective in my opinion if you're thinking of songs with English lyrics.
After listening to your "big" voice :) I could so easily hear you singing either one. Summertime would be lovely as well.
Please keep us updated and let us know what you decide!

SIde note: Not to change the subject but I have a couple of CD recordings of me singing...they're pretty good quality, studio and all. I was wondering how the heck to transfer the track to my PC so I can put them up???? I have no idea how to use youtube or photbucket!!

masquerading rose
03-20-2009, 07:32 PM
Rip the music from your CDs to Windows Media Player. You can then go in and make a slideshow style vid on movie maker using the song. Then you can post to Youtube or Photobucket.

tiannangel
03-21-2009, 03:33 AM
Okay Hannah, this is what to do:

Rip the songs off the CD using Windows Media Player. Press the Rip tab/button at the top, and select which songs you want to rip, and it'll rip it to your Music folder.

Then, if you want to upload to Youtube which is easier for me to use,so Ill tell you how to use it.
Basically, use Windows Movie Maker, and import the song into it. Then, depending whether you want to use a video or a picture the whole way. Personally, I suggest use a picture. Import the picture into there, and drag both onto the time line. Make sure the picture is the same length as the audio.

Then go EXPORT or Save video to my computer, and you can then choose what format to export as. After its exported, you can upload it onto Youtube.

You'll have to sign up an account on Youtube to post the video, after you do that, click the yellow button at the top right corner called UPLOAD. Then follow the instructions it give you.
I hope this wasn't too confusing, and I hope it helps!

Madame le Courayer
03-21-2009, 03:45 AM
Ya...not too confusing! I have gotten as far as the ripping but I am lost the rest of the way. Don't worry though I think I'll get it figured out. I have accounts for both youtube and photobucket so whichever is easiest is the way I'll go. Wish me luck and thanks Chrissy and Tian!!!

masquerading rose
03-21-2009, 04:02 AM
Just rip it. Don't worry abot the video. Do you know how to burn CDs?

masquerading rose
03-21-2009, 04:05 AM
I'm auditioning for Sound of Music. Just sharing! I'll tel y'all how it goes. Yes, its random, as am I so this post fitsme perfectly.

Sorry, its late here.

Madame le Courayer
03-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Good luck Chrissy! *crosses fingers* I once sang Climb Every Mountain for a local theater concert. It was fun but exausting.
No, I don't have a CD burner but my boyfriend does. He's burned several copies of my CDs *blushes*

The Countess
03-21-2009, 06:19 PM
I think that I've decided on sing LODLC after all. The song itself is a monster but I crave a challenge. When the time comes around, I'll have my parents film it and I'll post it here. Let's hope that it will be better than my first video :P

The Countess
04-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Ok so the talent show was yesterday and all things considered I think I nailed it. I have a video posted on my photobucket of the dress rehersal. It's not as good as the actual perfromance (since the pianist and I had only rehersed once perform) but it's definitly better then my eariler recording.

The username, again, to my photobucket is The_Countess_sings and the password is phantom. I messed up at a few parts, especially the choreography but I think it was a decent performance over all. I really wish that I had taped the real on though :(

Sorry about the poor quality (especially since it looks like I have a unibrow :goofy:) but my mom taped it from far away and had to zoom.

Enjoy and constructive critisum would be wonderful :)

masquerading rose
04-10-2009, 11:17 PM
That was very good. Wonderful voice. Good breathing and tonal quality.

One thing of advice, though if you don't mind. I noticed your voice sounded much better when you weren't moving rather than when you were. Just work a bit on different breathing techiques when it comes to moving and singing simultaneously. Your voice should be consistent whether your still or moving. But overall, a fabulous, fabulous performance. Brava brava. Felicita Canzone!

The Countess
04-11-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, breathing has always been a weak quality of mine. I've been cursed with exercise indused asthma since birth so you can say thats to blame. I'll work on it anyhow and thank you for the advice, or should I say grazie? Ha, I wish I could have found a translation of the aria in Italian, it's so much more fun to sing than French. My diction for French is tres mal.

The Countess
04-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Alright, so we've found out that we are doing the
Secert Garden for our musical next year. I'm well aquantied with the music and I think I'm going out for Mary. My only qualms are that I'll be a freshman and they often don't get leads, but then again Mary is supposed to be 10ish. I'm also afraid that my voice is too mature sounding. What should I do? I don't have much other reference since my voice teacher is on bed rest for her second child...

masquerading rose
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Aim for a song that makes you sound a tad less mature. Try singing a song that requires a mature voice but is from a less mature character.

Am I making sense?

The Countess
04-28-2009, 12:32 AM
Yes you are but unfortunatly with the high school, you must sing a piecve from the musical from the part that you're auditioning for. Bummer, right? So what can I do to prepare myself for that? I still want to sound like me but I don't want to be too heavy.

masquerading rose
04-29-2009, 12:16 AM
If your not going for heavy, picture yourself dancing on top of the notes and think light. Thinking these, you will automatically sing that way (or at least you should). Try it and tell me if it helps!

Angelchao
05-03-2009, 04:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfStN7CR74E

Okay I was told to post this on here. It's a video of me singing Phantom of the Opera. I'm not exactly sure if this really is the place to post such videos because by reading the rules I don't want to be immodest or arrogant about my voice (I'm extremely self-conscious about it). But anyway just tell me what you guys think but please be nice, I'm very shy :)

The Countess
05-06-2009, 10:37 PM
Hey, guys. Update on singing status:

I've been trying to make my voice lighter as you've suggested, Chrissy, and I think that it's doing the trick for me. I thank you again for your infinate well of knowledge.

Tonight, I'm singing a solo, or a "filler" as we call them, in my choir concert tonight. If I can charge my camera in time, I'll post it in my photobucket profile. Just a heads up :)

Oh yes, and I'll be singing TOM

masquerading rose
05-07-2009, 12:02 AM
YAY! I'm glad my advice worked for you! Its hard to give advice over the internet because you don't know how the person's personal voice will work on certain suggestions, you know? But I'm glad it worked. Again, if you ever want any advice in the singing field or otherwise, don't be afraid to ask!

I look forward to your recording if you can get one. Good luck!

witch
05-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I am a Soprano singer but latly I've been having trouble I have an acid reflux problem (I am taking something for it) and it leaves my voice lacking so I find myself having to train my voice to get to the high notes (Yes I do train it all the time anyway) I was wondering however with all the singers on here if anyone could suggest something else that might help.

Christine's Shadow
05-07-2009, 10:59 AM
watch what you eat, and look to see what might be causing the acid reflux. If it seems to be nothing, just generally be careful. Drink a balance of acidic and basic things (acidic being juices and basic being milks), drinking to many things of the basic chemical make your body want to balance itself out. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what is going on. As for your voice, continue to drink water daily. The one thing with taking help from another singer is each voice is different. I can generally suggest to get a decent intake of vitamin c and continue your training as is, but take it easy.

The Countess
05-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Alrighty, I posted the video on my photobucket:

User: The_Countess_sings
Pass: phantom

Forgive the begining for the key was weird. Tell me what you think :)

masquerading rose
05-08-2009, 04:14 AM
watch what you eat, and look to see what might be causing the acid reflux. If it seems to be nothing, just generally be careful. Drink a balance of acidic and basic things (acidic being juices and basic being milks), drinking to many things of the basic chemical make your body want to balance itself out. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what is going on. As for your voice, continue to drink water daily. The one thing with taking help from another singer is each voice is different. I can generally suggest to get a decent intake of vitamin c and continue your training as is, but take it easy.

Ahhh, Kearyn! You truly rock. Just a random kudos to you, tesora for your knowledge! Wheee!

Viktoria- nice maturity! Watch your pitches (I took my tuner to the video and there were times where you were perfect, and others where my needle was dancing. Granted, there is no such thing as "perfectly pitched"-- its impossible for anyone or anything to be).

Bravissima on your vibrato! It was very nicew from what I can tell.
Again, the Internet is hard to critique voices on, you know? So for all I know, your pitch could have been spot on, but its the Internet.

You have a fabulous voice, keep it up, tesora, and you will go FAR! *shooting star*

witch
05-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the advice I know that certain foods can help but I just wish it went away. I'm still looking for what it is that sets it off but it seems to come and go all the time.

I have recorded my voice on you tube to see how my training is going so hopefully (though I can't drink milk) your advice will make a difference.

Hidden Away
05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
What is belting. It doesn't really make sense to me. Belting to me, is something that I don't know what it is. Is it dangerous, if so why do broadway professional us this technique. I'm sure that there's a safe way to do so, but you can only learn that when your voice is fully developed right? Everyone's talking about it at school applied voice, but I never really got a definition. Thank you :D

masquerading rose
05-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Belting a range when useing your chest voice and Its a technique also used for volume. Technically, there's also Operatic belting which is when the opera singers are able to fill a theatre with sound with out using microphones.

You have to be careful with belting because without training, you might be doing it wrong even if to you, it sounds right. You can really damage your voice if you aren't careful.
Also poor breath support can make you rely too heavily on your vocal chords and you can seriously damage them.

Hope that answered your question!

Hidden Away
05-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks so much. That does help. But I have one question to quickly clarify. So it's really training opposed to the full development of the voice right? Thanks for the help.

masquerading rose
05-16-2009, 07:48 PM
You can have a fully developed vpoice and no trainng, yes. If someone with a full voice but no training tried to belt it still could do some damage, quite a bit, but not as much as a less mature voice would. But it is training. Its best to belt only after you have knowledge of what you're doing as well as doing it with discretion. Yes, it is mainly training and not maturity of voice.

Hidden Away
05-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Sweet and cool beans. Thanks Chrissy. That just helped me a bzoodles :D Yes those words do not exist, but what is stopping me from a creative vocabulary. Thank you so much with this help. My actual voice lessons start next school year but we've had a few vocal workshops with basic voice health. They really do help.

phantom's_rose
05-19-2009, 03:09 AM
Random Le Update....

Next semester...which is a whole freaking summer away...ugh....we are doing Wicked in choir! Not as good as POTO, I know, but Wicked is awesome. So very excited. We've reached a new high.

Okay, another random thing, I think we owe Chrissy a round of applause...look how helpful she is! She's great. Chrissy dahling, thank you for enlighting us with your never-ending knowledge. *applauds and blows a kiss*

Hidden Away
05-19-2009, 03:18 AM
Oh that's so exciting. I wish my school has a summer choir, there's a summer performance, but that's too much for me :|. Long hours. Eight AM to Nine at night, that would murder me five days a week.

phantom's_rose
06-07-2009, 03:35 AM
OKAY Random question. Sorry to butt in here, but...

My friend needed advice on "how" to vibrato...I don't know what to tell her. Any help? I just...ugh, yeah, don't know.

(By the way, Viktoria, you are an incredible singer!)

Christine's Shadow
06-07-2009, 05:21 AM
As far as "how" to vibrato, there really isn't a distinct way to do it, it's something your voice should naturally do as it matures.

Tell her to experiment with her sound, holding notes (starting with ones that are right in the middle of her range), breath control, mouth position, etc. A singer's vibrato is as individual as the next singer's is, so it's all up to whether or not her voice is mature enough yet or if she has the right breath control (or whatever variable is stopping her from having the vibrato in the first place.)

Do keep in mind however, if she finds a "way" to do it, make sure it is something natural, a forced vibrato makes anyone sound like a campy over-the-top cartoonish opera singer (a fake one that is) and the natural sound always serves a singer best. :)

Hidden Away
06-13-2009, 04:26 AM
Just an update:
I'm going to restart a few singing lessons this summer break, but then I'm going to finally start school training, I'm so excited. My teacher is amazing and I'll have him classes approximately every other day. :D

The Countess
06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Chrissy: Sorry I haven't got back to you, I've been very very busy.

Thank you for your kind words and I'm glad that I have potential.

Now a question for you. in August, I'm doing a children's theatre camp that's doing Into the Woods Jr. The camp is only grades 3-9 so I'm pretty confident that I'll get some kind of lead role, but the question is which. Does anyone have any suggestions based on my voice of who I should try out for?

masquerading rose
06-15-2009, 05:46 PM
So you try out for a specific role? Wow. That's totally different than any audition I've done....

Try looking at the ranges. You can find that in an ITW music book. You have a pretty mature voice so chances of you getting a lead are in your favor. However, when I was looking at voice parts and role sizes just now, I saw the only two true leads are for baritone and mezzo. So for a soprano (since they are all supporting roles) I would suggest you try out for Rapunzel, Cinderella, or Jack's mother since the ranges are made for the higher voice.

And then out of those, judging by the maturity of your vice I would say rapunzel or Jack's mom. Hope I helped!