The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Beyond the Paris Opera » The Work of a Genius » The Persian's Writing
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Elphie | Gender: female | Age: 24 | Posts: 210 | Roses: 10
Old 05-08-2011 at 02:40 AM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [31] »

Yay we get to the opera house! Poor Erik though having to go through loosing Reza and thinking he'll never be a father :'(. Keep it up love!

I'm a Dwarf and I am digging a hole
Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole
Lady of Music's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: April | Gender: female | Age: 33 | Posts: 135 | Roses: 10
Old 10-07-2011 at 08:28 PM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [32] »

Some times it seemed as if fate were mocking their efforts to build the opera house. Problem after problem plauged every step of construction. First the builders dug into an underground tributary of the Sienne. A symstem of pumps and the construction of an underground lake let the construction continue, but added a fair sum to the final cost of the project. Two million francs were cut from the budget, and Garnier was almost constantly at war with the government to keep the dream of the opera house as he and Erik wanted to build it alive.
Erik often worked twenty hours a day, no matter that he was the only one on sight sometimes. Both Nadir and Garnier advised Erik to slow down and reminded him that as valued as his skilled craftsmanship was he didn't have to build the whole thing himself. Not that Erik paid any attention to either of them.
When war broke out, however, Erik had no choice. All work on the opera was stopped, and in the revolution that followed the loss of the war people werefar too busy worrying about keeping themselves fed and sheltered to care about the opera. When the war was lost things only went from bad to worse.
Erik knew how cruel the human race could be at times, but he had a sympathy for the children, especially Jules' rapidly growing brood. There were too many people starving in the streets for anyone to help them all, but he saw to it that none of the Bernard family children went hungry even if Jules' wife clearly thought of him as some sort of monster.
He did what he could for the animals too, disgusted at how cats and dogs had become a delicacy among starving people. He couldn't save them all, but he did come home with a dirty white kitten with a chocolate colored face and paws. Nadir inwardly groaned. He and cats had never gotten along, but he knew this one would be staying as long as Erik was staying with him. That kitten had Erik wrapped around her paw. Nadir could tell how much Erik adored that kitten by the name he gave her, Ayesha. It had a double meaning, Persian for "Small One" and the name of a queen in a book who was known as "she who must be obeyed."
Somehow Erik, Nadir, Darius, and Ayesha managed to survive the Paris Commune, and at last work on the opera house began again. When it was finished Garnier made it clear to Erik that it was both their triumphs. It was Garnier's design, but he knew that without Erik's hard work, masonry skill, and genious at engineering to create the underground lake it would not have been built. There needn't been any rivalry between them.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Erik treated Nadir and Marie to many nights at the opera in the years that followed, but the day came when he wondered if there was a point in attending anymore when such beautiful music was practically murdered by the leading lady. He had no idea who had ever told Carlotta she could sing. Perhaps they were deaf? or a tad insane? Surely no one else would ever have told her. At least she hadn't had a chance to ruin his work yet. Erik's operas were now being performed throughout Europe, but not at the Garnier. He'd told the managers that if they wanted his music they's have to get a different leading lady to perform it. Those managers had a little sense between them and recognized that Erik knew music, but there simply was no other leading lady they could use at the time, and besides Carlotta was a big name to draw in crowds.
To make the 1880 season even worse, they were featuring operas by Meyesbeer to start with. In Erik's opinion he was a mediocre composer at best who relied on special effects Not that Erik minded good effects of course. As a magician he had an appreciation for them, and he'd always had a flare for the theatrical. He merely felt that an opera should rely on music.
"You did not enjoy the show tonight monseur?"
Erik turned, recognizing the voice of the boxkeeper, Madame Giry, as he walked down the grand staircase. He'd always been fond of her. She was grateful for the generous tips he left her, the boxes of English sweets he sometimes left, and the little gifts such as new shoes for her daughter when they wore out. Most of all she was grateful for him convincing the managers to promote Meg to leader of her row. She was also a sensible woman and had never commented on his mask.
"Not especially," he answered. "I never was fond of anything of Meyerbeer's, and Carlotta could ruin even the best compositions." Then he decided to brighten her day a little. "The dancing was very good, however. Your little Meg has talent." He knew she was fiercely proud of her daughter. She thanked him joyfully before she had to go about her tasks.
Even though he knew every inch of the opera house and had been there many, many times, Erik decided that if he couldn't enjoy beautiful music that night he'd at least look around and enjoy the beautiful architecture. He ended up in his favorite box at the end of his walk, and was surprised to hear voices comming from below. Everyone else should have left by now.
"We shouldn't be here,' one of them said nervousely.
"Oh don't be so spineless, Christine. Come on, why don't you sing? You know Faust don't you? The part of Margarete?"
"Yes, but you know I always play Siebel-"
Erik found himself curious. Next to his own works Faust was his favorite. This girl had to be better than Carlotta, and perhaps he'd get to enjoy good singing tonight after all. So he listened as Meg began to play the piano and her friend began to sing.
The second she opened her mouth Erik felt as if he'd been struck by lightning and posessed by a demon all at once. There couldn't be a more beautiful soprano voice, and it could harldy be used worse. Oh the girl was singing pitch perfect, every note exactly right. But there was no feeling at all to it, none of the passion and fire opera had to have. The waste of such talent was sickening when Erik thought of what that voice could be capable of doing, especially if he taught her.
Then he found himself wondering why not. All he had to do was let her know he'd heard her and then offer to teach her. Yet even if she knew who he was she wouldn't want anything to do with a masked man. He'd always let Jules deal with meeting with clients in France and Lorenzo deal with them in Rome because the vast majority found his masked face too unerving. It would be a crime against music though to let such beauty go unheard. He had to at least give this girl- Christine- the chance to use her gift. When the music ended he began to clap.
"Bravo Mademoiselle."
The girl turned to look at him and Erik could have sworn his heart stoppes. This was impossible! His mother had been dead for almost twenty years now. And yet there was no mistaking the fact that this was her face. Younger naturally, but unquestionably the same face. He wasn't sure how long he stared at her, but judging by her expression when he realized what he was doing it had been long enough to almost frighten her.
'Forgive me. I didn't mean to startle you. I simply overheard you singing and was very impressed by your voice."
Christine looked down as she said "I sing like a limping sparrow.'
"Who told you that?" Erik asked with barely concealed anger.
"Carlotta."
That made Erik's anger burn even more.
"What would she know? Listening to a toad croak would be more enjoyable than listening to her."
Christine couldn't help but laugh, and that relaxed Erik enough to continue.
"Granted your voice needs training, but with time and effort you could easily take Carlotta's place."
"But who would tutor me monseur?"
Now was the time to decide. Either he made the offer now or left matters alone.
"I would be happy too."
Before long the details of when and where they would meet were arranged, and there was only one last thing to take care of. Erik looked at Meg and said very seriously. "I would appreciate it if this were kept secret for now.'
She nodded. 'I have not forgotten who I owe my promotion to. I won't say anything to anyone.'
Erik nodded his thanks and went to leave, looking back once more at Christine as he said "Wait and see. We will astonish Paris."

In sleep he sang to me
wandering child's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-2011 at 08:45 PM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [33] »

Yay! Back witth more brillaince, aww The Erik & Christine scene is just so cute! Even if it is just introductions :)

Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole

Name: April | Gender: female | Age: 33 | Posts: 135 | Roses: 10
Old 10-19-2012 at 06:29 AM
wandering child
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [34] »

(Sorry for the long delay.)

“Meg told me who you are last night.”
It was Christine’s first lesson with Erik. He was searching through some sheet music, trying to decide on a piece for her.
“And who did she say I am?”
“A famous composer, and that you helped build the opera house.”
“I didn’t compose or build for fame. I happen to love beauty, which is why we’re here. A voice like yours is not going to be wasted playing minor roles.”
“You don’t think you’d be wasting your time on me?”
He shook his head. “Only if you don’t plan to put what I teach you to use.”
“But you’re a famous composer and I’m just a chorus girl-“
Her arguing was frustrating him, but he tried to hold his temper.
“If you listen to me you’ll be the future diva.”
Christine did well through the warmups and basic vocal exercises, but nothing near what Erik hoped she’d be able to do soon. He noticed her posture was fine, but there were many other little points that could easily be fixed. They would go a long way towards helping her singing already.
“Open your mouth from the jaw, not the chin. Keep your tongue behind your lower teeth. “
One hour and more than a few corrections later, there was already a great improvement. Yet there was still no feeling in her singing no matter what passion Erik played with. That was the major obstacle to overcome. The rest would come later. He had asked Madame Giry about Christine before, and learned that she had never stopped grieving for her father. That had to be the cause of it. Grief was one thing, but spending so long burying her feelings was not good. It was a wonder it hadn’t made her sick.
“You spoke of my fame before. Your family background is nothing to be ashamed of either. Gustave Daae’s name is hardly unknown.”
She seemed to freeze, and closed her eyes before saying “Please don’t speak of him.”
“Why not?”
“Because it hurts to.”
“Have you ever truly grieved for him?”
“Of course, every day.”
“Tell me about him.”
She shook her head and took a step back as if he’d hit her. “I- I’d rather not.”
Erik continued to question her.
“Did he ever teach you to play the violin or only singing?”
She said something so quietly she may have only been moving her mouth, but at Erik’s urging finally said “Only singing.”
“And how did he go about teaching you? It would help me to know where I’m starting at.” He could tell already just what he training had involved by what she struggled with and what came easily, but he needed to make her feel something again, anything.
She kept her head lowered as she told him about how she’d learned to read music, the way he’d taught her to breath and stand while singing. Then she did what Erik hoped and started telling little stories about him. She’d break off and start to cry, but Erik always pressed for more details, like how life had been for them back in Sweden and what songs her father played had been her favorites. If he had to he would use the tone of voice he’d found no one could disobey. He hated it, especially with her being nearly a sobbing wreck by the end of it.
He hated it even worse when he had her sing the part of Faust where the pregnant Margarete has been abandoned by her lover and is pleading to the angels. He chose the scene from Romeo and Juliet where Juliet is about to die with Romeo, and every heartbreaking scene he could think of. They only made her despair worse. She seemed ready to collapse when it was over, and he stopped to let her cry until she couldn’t. The dam that had blocked her feelings had been broken, and now everything behind it was flowing out.
“I’m sorry-“ he said when she collected herself. “I know that hurt.”
“I’m not coming back for another lesson. Thinking of him- Why did you make me-“
“How do you feel now?”
“Miserable-“ she stopped. “Actually, I do feel a little better.”
“You needed to get that out, not only to put real feeling into your singing, but for yourself too.”
Neither said another word about it, and she didn’t resist when he had her sing one more song. Erik chose a more cheerful piece, wanting the lesson to end positively. When the song ended Erik asked “You will be coming for another lesson after all?”
She nodded without thinking about it. “I can already tell I’m singing better than I was.”
“Not as much as you think. You have much still to learn.”
That continued throughout the lessons. Erik never praised her, never said how well she was doing. He was strict and a perfectionist, but Christine came to realize he wasn’t asking her to do anything she couldn’t do. She was surprised at her own progress, and one day about three months later she clasped her hands around her throat after a song.
“What’s the matter?” Erik asked.
“That was really me singing?”
Erik had to laugh. “Of course it was.”
“I’ve never been able to reach a note that high.”
“You can now give men a taste of the music of Heaven.”
Christine blushed at the compliment, but asked “How? I’m still only a chorus girl?”
“Not once they see how talented you are.”
Naturally, it wasn’t as simple as that. Carlotta, past her prime though she was, was still a major celebrity. No manager was going to make her give up the lead for an unknown.
“You have to understand,” Poliginy told him. “Carlotta is drawing in crowds.”
“Mademoiselle Daae will draw twice as many once they’ve heard of her.”
“That’s exactly the problem. No one has heard of her.”
“So let them. You’re retiring soon. Let her sing at the gala to celebrate.”
“I’m sorry. Carlotta is already scheduled to sing that evening.”
That was his final answer, but that didn’t mean Erik had to accept it. Carlotta was fond of sweets, and it was easy enough to add something to a box of chocolates to make her ill. It was nothing that would seriously harm her, but she wouldn’t have her head out of a bowl for a few days. Making her understudy ill was a bit trickier. Erik was too smart to fool two people the same way. It would look suspicious. In the understudy’s case, some special powder on her wig did the job. All that was left to do was wait for the managers to remember Erik had said Christine knew the songs.
No one in the audience had a dry eye when Christine finished. None of them had ever heard anything so heartbreakingly beautiful. She’d put her whole soul into it, but Erik could see she’d exhausted herself. She was swaying slightly, and he heard another man call out that she was going to faint.
Erik moved mechanically, terrified that she was very ill. Luckily his knowledge of the opera house let him reach her dressing room quickly, and he found her laying down on a sofa with a physician standing over her. He went to her side, or at least as close as he could to her side while letting the doctor do his work. Why couldn’t the doctor just leave? Erik had never gotten over his hatred for doctors, and could do just as much for Christine anyway. To make matters worse, just then an extremely handsome young man- boy, really- came in. Erik caught a glimpse of him before turning his head and lowering his hat to keep the mask as hidden as possible. The boy was disgustingly good looking, with the air of a man who had always had everything in life handed to him on a silver platter. In short, Erik hated him immediately.
His eyes were on Christine when she opened her own, but it was the boy who went over and took her hand. At least she didn’t seem to know him.
“Monseur, who are you?”
To Erik’s annoyance, to put it mildly, the boy knelt down and kissed her hand.
“I am the little boy who went into the sea to rescue your scarf.”
So they were childhood sweethearts. Already Erik knew there was no competing with him. It would be only natural for her to choose a handsome young man.
Erik drew in a breath as he surprised himself with that thinking. Since when had it mattered who Christine was with? When had he started wanting her to choose him over anyone else?
“Doctor, don’t you think it’s getting a bit crowded in here?” Erik hinted.
“Yes, of course. The lady will need air. Young man, it’s best if you come back later.”
“But-“ the boy started to turn as he left, but Erik took the chance to slam the door. He hadn’t meant to shut it so loudly, but the less the boy was near Christine, the better.
“The lady is clearly feeling better, doctor. I can take care of her for now.” Erik used that commanding tone no one could help obeying, though the doctor gave half an effort.
“You will be all right with this gentleman Mademoiselle?”
“Yes- yes Erik and I know each other well.”
That left just the two of them as the doctor ushered out a few people who had come to see what was going on. Now he could relax and see to Christine.
“Are you very tired, child?”
She sighed. “I gave my soul tonight.”
Erik smiled behind the mask. “Your soul is a beautiful thing. The angels wept tonight.” His hand twitched with wanting to reach out and stroke her face, but he stopped himself. “You should rest now.”
Christine drifted off before long, and Erik stayed watching her for awhile. Christine had denied knowing that boy, after all. Perhaps there was hope he had nothing to worry about. If she did care for the boy there was no chance she’d love him. There was no way she’d ever love someone so ugly, but he knew then he was in love with her.

In sleep he sang to me
wandering child's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Old 10-19-2012 at 11:49 PM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [35] »

Back with avengence (sp?) hon. Got the idea and feel of what having Erik as a teacher right onthe head,

Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole