The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Beyond the Paris Opera » The Work of a Genius » The Persian's Writing
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Viktoria | Gender: A proper young lady | Age: 23 | Posts: 1,438 | Roses: 144
Old 02-11-2009 at 03:11 AM
The Countess
Wandering Child
I will not give up my own self...

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
What You Look For in a Phic?  Post [1] »

For aspiring Phantom phan phic writers, what do you look for in a phan phiction? What pairings do you like to see? What don't you like to see?

Discuss in here, merci beaucop.
The Countess's Profile Send Private Message The Countess's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Hannah | Gender: the "weaker" sex | Posts: 501 | Roses: 110
Old 02-13-2009 at 03:31 AM
Madame le Courayer
Wandering Child
Make your choice!

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

I look for a sweeping romance that doesn't make you want to gag. I prefer Erik and Christine ships but IF THEY ARE HANDLED PROPERLY I can take Erik and...God I cringe to say this...another woman.
I prefer they take off of Gaston Leroux's tale but can like some that are spinoffs from the ALW musical. I do however prefer my Phantom to be an ugly, repulsive looking tenor with the voice of an angel. It's a counterpoint. And I hate to see lyrics from the ALW musical in a phanfic even if it's based on the musical. You are the author...find some obscure opera or write your own songs!
Finally, I look for madness. Every great romantic tale must have a tinge of it (Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre, even Gone With the Wind) I don't care for the Phantom to be totally redeemed. I want him to retain some of his insanity...it's what makes him Erik. Even if it means Christine going a bit insane with him....

Madame le Courayer's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Laura | Gender: Female | Age: 26 | Posts: 279 | Roses: 0
Old 02-14-2009 at 08:59 PM
Ange de Musique
Wandering Child
Blessed4Eternity

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

I look for a variety of things...Firstly, I MUCH prefer an E/C story, though I will tolerate E/OW. I cannot stand a phic that is poorly put together, or lacking depth. I also prefer Erik to be a tormented genius, not the perfect romancer without fault that a lot of phics I've read portray him to be. I tend to go more with Andrew Lloyd Webber's version of the Phantom, but I also enjoy reading the more traditional, Leroux based stories. And I avoid like the plague stories which *cough* how can I put this?...go into great detail about intimate moments. I'm not saying I don't like a sexy story, but I think there's a delicate balance between sexy and over the top. I also prefer stories that don't have excessive language.

"What you do in this life echoes in eternity."
Ange de Musique's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Lia | Gender: Female | Age: 24 | Posts: 703 | Roses: 74
Old 02-15-2009 at 01:40 AM
tiannangel
Wandering Child
S.S. Defense Squad

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

I tend to go for phics based on KayErik, but I read just about any. I'm not terribly picky, but one thing I do hate reading is an E/OW phic which is just literally the writer writing herself and placing herself into the story. I just hate those stories...*shudder*
I also hate the stories where Erik is turned into an almost perfect guy with a mask on his face, who's handsome and everything gorgeous except for that tiny disfigurement, and he can't get a girl until Christine comes...that just defeats the purpose.
There's one particular story by GerrysJackie on fanfiction.net.
Beyond the Shadows
^ that story is a perfect example of the Perfect Erik. It's just kinda...off putting.

Our love is like a Rose...Beautiful while in bloom, but it can not last forever.

~Shameless Self Advertising~

~Banners by the wonderful Kearyn, Rose and me. XD~
tiannangel's Profile Send Private Message tiannangel's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Patricia Jane [pətrɪʃə dʒeɪn] | Gender: Lady | Age: 22 | Posts: 2,327 | Roses: 50
Old 05-17-2009 at 04:58 AM
Hidden Away
Wandering Child
Blossoming New Life

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [5] »

I just look for a happy ending for Erik and whom every (anyone but Raoul or Madame Giry). I pray there's no modern slang that is seen. Typos like 'ur' or 'lol' or 'luv'--this makes me cringe the most. I want details, a sweet amazing interesting plot that keeps the reader questioning and the writer to be humble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiannangel View Post
...but one thing I do hate reading is an E/OW phic which is just literally the writer writing herself and placing herself into the story. I just hate those stories...*shudder*

Haha I admit that I write like that sometimes. It's my terrible mind process that kicks in, but really I try to make Mel's personality as far away from mine as I possibly can.

We were angels once, don't you remember? Joys in life, inside our souls; and nobody knows, just you and me. It's our secret.
And your child-like eyes, and your distant smile; I'll never be this happy again! You and I. And no one else. || Maybe he'll come today. Maybe he came already...
Hidden Away's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Elphie | Gender: female | Age: 24 | Posts: 210 | Roses: 10
Old 10-05-2013 at 06:44 PM
Lady of Music
Wandering Child
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

I kinda look for something new in a phic, even if its just a slight change to the normal flow, as long as it is either believable or unbelievable but well explained.

One thing I... dislike is an overly repetitive plot, I mean sure reaffirm some thing's but don't be a broken record, this is fiction not a serial killer program where every break requires the next bit to be filled with what the last part was so much so there's nothing new added to it

I'm a Dwarf and I am digging a hole
Diggy diggy diggy
I'm digging a hole
Lady of Music's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: EAAB | Gender: Ghostly Lady Spirit | Posts: 79 | Roses: 10
Old 03-10-2014 at 10:45 PM
EAAB
Wandering Child
Secret Keeper of the Fifth Cellar

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [7] »

I know Kay did it, but it's hard for me to think of reading a POTO based novel without Erik and Christine eventually finding their way through to a happy ending. I can't see Erik and Meg getting together *shudder*. I also picture Erik as a tortured soul seeking love and redemption, like tiannangel pointed out, Erik should not be this perfect guy with only a mask on his face, except he must be a genius, well groomed with that gorgeous broad brimmed hat and cloak, and be a genius, of course! Well, maybe the ending doesn't have to be always happy, great tragedy makes great literature, but I would like to see Christine finally fall in love with Erik and not be afraid to admit it! Oh yes, the writer should do their research and try and write according to the times, etc, no modernisms in the text. Maybe I'm too picky and uppity? Nuts! It's hard to mess around with POTO and get it right. "Lover Never Dies" is ample proof of that! As someone once said, LND is poor fanfic with an expensive budget. LOL! (Sorry LND Phans.)

EAAB's Profile Send Private Message EAAB's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Christine | Gender: Female | Age: 28 | Posts: 32 | Roses: 10
Old 10-26-2015 at 06:43 AM
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks
Wandering Child
Erik's Student

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
What I Look For In A Phantom Of The Opera Fanfic....  Post [8] »

This question is really sort of hard to ask but I'll try my hand at it....
Gosh, you know, I don't really think I've thought about this but I think I can come up with a few things....let's see...
1. I genrally don't like POTO in modern times. Sorry, but no. The only way I'll maybe read one of these fics is if the writer can really do it well. Yeah, there is a fic on fanfiction.net that comes to mind right now.
2. The writer has to have some book inspirations as well as the musical. I don't think a fic should be too heavy with book or musical. I think it should try and make it even between the two. I'll read an all book based fic as well as an all musical based fic, but only if it is written very well.
3. The writer has to draw me in from the first chapter and keep me that way through the entire fic as well as have it be a fic that I'd go back to and read more than once. There ar actually a few fanfics that are Titanic fanfics that I've read mennnnnny times.
4. I can say that without a doubt, that I'm a E/C shipper!!! I like those to be happy endings, or at least genrally happy not the cheesie sort of endings.
5. While I do like Erik to have some of his novel based personalities, I want for him to become loving and be able to love. Because, although he's a troubled man and a tormented one, I think he can become a sort of loving person. But, like many people have said, Erik just wouldn't be Erik if he's that all too perfect guy with nothing else wrong with him other than what he has hiding behind the mask he where's.
6. As far as sex seens go, I think since that this is set in 19th century, there's just some stuff that you leave for the readers too imagen. I'm not saying that you can't give suggestive discriptions of what your trying to write about without overkilling it. I'm not saying that people in 19th century didn't have sex, cause they did, but you know...
7. Do as much research as you can!! It doesn't have to be 100% spot on, but.... you are dealing with 19th century, after all.

Beneath the opera house, I know he's there.
He's with me on the stage, he's everywhere.
And when my song begins, I always find, the phantom of the opera is there, inside my mind.
"Christine Daaé! Where is your red scarf?"
You couldn't have lost it. After all the trouble I caused! I was just 14 and soked to the skin!"
"Because you had run into the sea to fech my scarf! Oh Raoul, so it is you!"
Roses, the color of blood filled her lap. In her hands she held a mask. She knew that her home was the house on the lake. Her angel of music would always be there singing songs in her head.
Are you so sure that a small jar would contain me, madame?
Three long years I've nelt in silence
Held your memory near me.
Three long years of murmured sorrow
Willing you to hear me...
“Passing bells and sculpted angels, cold and monumental...”
ChristineDaaeRosesOfMasks's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote