The Phantom's Opera
Go Back   The Phantom's Opera » Beyond the Paris Opera » The Work of a Genius » The Persian's Writing
Remember Me?

Viewing Thread: 1 [0 Performers and 1 Ghosts]

Name: Sarah | Gender: Genderfluid. | Age: 27 | Posts: 1,031 | Roses: 10
Old 08-17-2011 at 09:24 PM
xXphantomaddictedXx
Wandering Child
Dial A For Alan.

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
Little Things We've Learned From Writing  Post [1] »

Most of us are writers in some way, and this is a place where we can share some of the smaller things we've learned. Some of the little things I've picked up are...

-When in doubt, research your topic.
-Stick to what you know.
-Write in first person if second or third seems too challenging.
-It's all right to take a break once in awhile.

There are many bodies of water in this world;

Yet none would quench my thirst for you.
xXphantomaddictedXx's Profile Send Private Message xXphantomaddictedXx's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: EAAB | Gender: Ghostly Lady Spirit | Posts: 79 | Roses: 10
Old 03-27-2014 at 12:38 AM
EAAB
Wandering Child
Secret Keeper of the Fifth Cellar

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [2] »

One thing I've learned...

There are more harsh critics than adoring admirers...

LOL!

EAAB's Profile Send Private Message EAAB's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,058 | Roses: 235
Old 03-27-2014 at 01:39 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [3] »

Rewriting is practically an unending process. Every time I think I have it just about right, I rework it into something closer. It's knowing when to stop the rewriting that is tricky.

RPing is totally different from writing by yourself. It's the unpredictability that can be addictive. I used to co-author with a friend who lived nearby, and it was a magical experience. I never thought I'd like co-authoring till I did Alter Egoing with penpals then wrote stories with someone at my side feeding me her characters' actions/lines. RPing comes close.

Sometimes the plot bunnies are a-hopping and ready to go, champing at the bit (to mix metaphors). Other times, they just lie there and turn to dust bunnies.

My mind has created more characters than I could ever use. Their profiles would make a sizable volume. So, they'll just languish there, then, when I'm gone, they will vanish unless I miraculously write some books.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: EAAB | Gender: Ghostly Lady Spirit | Posts: 79 | Roses: 10
Old 03-27-2014 at 11:15 PM
EAAB
Wandering Child
Secret Keeper of the Fifth Cellar

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [4] »

xXphantomaddictedXx: Re: writing what you know,that's not always the case, even if you 'half' know what you want to write about, research will generally help you through, which goes right along with your first point. LOL!

Thank God for the Internet--it's the best research tool that's even been invented. If it's not on the Web, at least you can search for the right book to get.

MystMoonstruck: Rewriting, gosh, isn't that the truth? It's hard to know when to stop!

The problem I find is you can get too close to your work as an author with all the self-criticism and creative impulses as you write. It's best to edit your draft to the best of your ability, then drop it for a good stretch, don't even look at it until you've cleared your head from 'write' and 'edit' mode, then come back to it fresh as a reader only. You'll be able to spot what would bug you as a READER. That's the best way I think. If you find nothing seems to 'bog' you down when you read it, you've pretty much got it perfected to your tastes. Then run it by someone else and see what they think, and if they have any suggestions, see if you can work with them. (I know, it's hard to seperate just from unjust criticism!) However, if I find another reader hasn't figured out what I wanted to describe, etc, it might be the case I haven't been clear for a READER. The author knows what they want to say and might think it's explained clearly for a reader, but sometimes that isn't the case, lol! Especially with / about characters:I think I may be portraying them one way, and my reader will see them completely different, and not the way I intended. A second pair of eyes is good then.

EAAB's Profile Send Private Message EAAB's Website Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: Natalia | Gender: Female | Posts: 2,742 | Roses: 50
Old 03-28-2014 at 04:20 AM
witch
Wandering Child
Lost,Alone,Unknown

Performing Onstage
(Performer Is Online)
 Post [5] »

That you can never TRULY plan ahead. Not when it comes to ANY kind of writing. You might have a set plan/plot but once started things tend to take a life on their own.

Characters:
What can I say about them? They are these voices inside my head that make it a very scary place to be. I always find myself talking to them sometimes even allowed, they become a part of you and you really learn how to listen to them. Sometimes they surprise you, you don't ever really know a person, even when it's YOU making them up.

NEVER second guess yourself.
I don't know if it's just me but I always like my first drafts better then when I start poking at them. Sure I change things, go back ect but..... for some reason if I go back I find myself picking to much, worrying that something is wrong. I tend to like going with the flow, letting the words come to me.

witch's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote

Name: MystMoonstruck aka Cyn | Gender: REDHEAD! | Posts: 5,058 | Roses: 235
Old 03-29-2014 at 01:11 AM
MystMoonstruck
Wandering Child
House Patron
Opera Performer

Roaming Dungeons
(Performer Is Offline)
 Post [6] »

It's very true about the unpredictability of characters. I read somewhere that a best-selling author said that's the mark of a real writer: when characters seem to take on lives of their own. Once, he introduced a minor character to provide needed information; then, he was going to kill him off immediately after. However, the character had other ideas and eventually became THE pivotal character in the story.

I did that before: I introduced a character as a minor villain. I had a complete picture of him and how he moved and spoke. This was in Alter Egoing in letters. It turned out that my penfriends were CRAZY about this new character and kept wanting to do scenes and storylines with him. Eventually, he became a major player. He's the Rafe "Chance" Chancery Easy talks/thinks about. He's not such a villain, but that isn't how I envisioned him.

Easy can be very unpredictable even though he's been around for a very long time, nearly the longest of any of my hundreds of characters. I'm still learning about Golden and Dorian, who are newly fashioned, but both have surprises for me. So, maybe that's a sign that they will grow as characters.

I agree about setting work aside then reading it again. Sometimes it's a pleasant surprise, and you might find yourself saying, "That's not so bad!" When I reread stories a friend and I co-authored, I find myself having difficulty telling which of us wrote what parts. So, I sort of feel like an outsider asked to read, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I enjoy going back to older stories in TPO to reread them and am impressed by the quality of writers we have here. I hope we are continuing that tradition.

MystMoonstruck's Profile Send Private Message Search Posts Reply With Quote